1.10

CHAPTER TEN EVERYTHING WILL BE RUINED

***

THE PRESENCE OF JACOB BLACK AT THE WEDDING PUT ALL THE WOLVES AND THE VAMPIRES ON EDGE.

As Paul walked away from her shoulders tensed like he was ready for a fight, Maisie peeked around at the other guests and saw Seth reacting in a similar way. Without being in wolf form they wouldn't truly know what Jacob's intentions are. As subtle as they could the two wolves creeped their way through the crowd towards the back of the luxurious Cullen home. Emmett and Jasper were standing at attention, now fully aware that something was setting the wolves off and the unmistakable scent of another wolf filled the area.

To Maisie's great surprise Edward seemed calm. Suspiciously calm as he pulled Bella through the crowd of people wanting to give the newlyweds their congratulations - though she knew deep down that both of them were anxious to leave. With her heightened hearing she could hear Bella asking her husband where he was taking her.

"What's going on Edward?" Maisie asked in her head, projecting it right to him knowing that he heard it above everyone else's. 

He glanced behind his shoulder briefly, Bella likely didn't notice and gave her a reassured smile. But that didn't settle her at all, after all Edward Cullen was known for doing stupid things.

Like marrying a human.

Deciding it was best to keep an eye on the situation she followed in Paul's footsteps to the back of the house. She knew Edward and the wolves could sense her presence but nevertheless she stayed hidden in the shadows away from sight and listened closely. 

"This is kind of you." Edward said wanting to display as much kindness towards Jacob as possible, despite very clearly hating the way he embraced his wife.

"Kind is my middle name." Jacob smirked, and Maisie guessed that he knew exactly what buttons to push to get under Edwards skin.

"Don't cause a scene." she tried to communicate with him and Edward sighed defeated. 

"I'm going to see if Maisie wants to dance." 

Edward walked a few paces to join her in the shadows, Bella definitely realized that her husband wouldn't be going far. Maisie rolled her eyes at her friend's disgruntled expression, "She married you, not him." she said, "You won."

"I know," Edward ran a hand through his bronze colored hair, "But there will always be a part of her that craves him, they have an explainable bond."