2.22

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO A HOUSE FULL OF BLOODSUCKERS AND A RARE MOMENT ALONE

***

MAISIE COULDN'T HELP BUT FEEL A LITTLE NOSTALGIC AS SHE PULLED UP TO THE CULLENS HOME WITH PENNY AND ARIEL.

It was almost surreal to think about how the last time the three of them showed up together everything had been normal. She didn't know that one of her closest friends was about to marry a human, there was no hybrid baby, no insane threats against their lives, and there was no Paul. Maisie had almost forgotten what it was life before Paul, it seemed that ever since the Imprint her entire focus had been on him. A life without him just didn't seem right anymore.

This time as Penny parked at the end of the driveway there was no sense of excitement, in fact, Maisie didn't have to be an empath to know that there was a shared sense of dread, worry, and fear between the three of them. They could all sense the presence of other vampires inside the house and could hear them mingling about and talking. But most important was the strange heartbeat, Maisie could hear it and felt comfort in knowing that Renesmee was okay, comfortable even despite all of the vicious creatures inside her home. She knew that her sister and Ariel could hear it too, and when they shared a look she could only hope this had a positive outcome.

"You said the others were looking for their own witnesses..." Ariel was the first to speak after a moment of silence as the three of them still sat in the car, "Do you know who?"

"Carlisle and Esme went to Egypt in search of Amun and his coven," the three had never met Amun but had heard plenty of stories from Carlisle. The doctor had a great respect for the man, and he had apparently had a few new additions in the past century or so, "Bella and Edward went and spoke to the Denali's, and before they left Alice and Jasper had planned to go find some of Jasper's old war friends...and Rosalie and Emmett when to find Garrett."

Penny snorted audibly and Maisie glowered in her direction, "Garrett?"

"Yes."

Ariel shot her a sympathetic look while Penny just seemed to grow more and more amused, "Does your wolf know about you and Garrett?"

"There was nothing between Garrett and me," Maisie replied, "He's a flirt, and thought it was a game that I wasn't interested in him."

"Yeah, "not interested" tell that to all the times we had to vacate the house so you guys could-"

"Alright!" Ariel clapped her hands together, successfully interrupting what their wife was about to say, "Let's go in and meet the kid, okay?"

It was for the better really, but everyone knew it was only a matter of time before the sisters got into another fight. Not that either of them really minded, their banter was something that still made them feel human.