1.11

CHAPTER ELEVEN I LOVE YOU

***

MAISIE COULD NEVER REMEMBER A TIME WHERE SHE WAS SO IMPATIENT.

Being frozen in time, she wasn't allowed the luxury of impatience ( if she wanted to keep her sanity ), but it seemed like just another thing that Paul managed to pull out of her. Maisie only managed to wait until exactly seven in the morning before she was dashing off to LaPush. Paul hadn't given her a specific time, but she was sure all the wolves would know the second she crossed over the treaty line. 

Luckily the beach wasn't too far from the edge of the tree line, meaning she wouldn't have to walk through all of LaPush at a natural human pace to get there. She would likely draw a lot of attention, by now the mysterious Cullen visitors were probably common gossip. Especially after Bella and Edward's wedding.

Before walking into the sand she kicked off her shoes and socks, deciding the feeling of sand in her sneakers was not worth it. Maisie approached the water, watching the calm waves that splashed against the sand, and the sun reflect against the water. Overall the atmosphere was calm, despite the raging storm inside of her mind. 

Maisie took a few steps forward allowing the water to splash against her bare feet, the water soaked the very bottom of the leggings she was wearing. She couldn't feel the temperature against her indestructible skin, but with it being so early in the morning she could guess that it was a little cold. Though the feeling of the water against her bare feet was enough to send shivers down her spine, the water bubbled from the rapid movements and it reminded her of a part of her life that she would rather forget. 

Growing up in California, Maisie had gotten quite accustomed to spending time at the beach. Whenever she and Penny had free time ( which was rare and far between ) they dress up in their favorite swimsuits and head down to the sand. It was the only time the two girls were really allowed to feel normal, they'd play in the water, soak up the sun, and ignoring the bruises and bites that marred Penny's pale skin. Even decades later Maisie could picture her little sister lying before her on a beach towel, a bright red bathing suit standing out against her white skin. Though that would never pull her attention away from the hand shaped bruises on her hips or the bite marks that littered neck. Penelope might have gotten used to the feel and the look, but Maisie never would, knowing deep down that she was the one who put her sister in that position over and over again.

"Someone's thinking hard," Maisie had heard him approaching but had been so deep in thought that she hadn't truly processed it, she turned to face Paul with a slightly startled expression, "Wanna talk about it?"

Maisie was silent for a moment, looking him over. He'd clearly just gotten back from patrol, his hair dripping fresh from a shower and she could smell the fresh laundry detergent from his black tank-top. "Just remembering what it was like to be human again." she sighed, breathing in deeply even from a few feet away his scent managed to bring her some comfort. The tenseness from memories washed away.