2.21

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE NEVER A BORING MOMENT

***

 MAISIE WOULD NEVER GET USED TO HOW WARM PAUL FELT AGAINST HER COLD SKIN.

Despite the fact that she couldn't sleep she still found herself cuddling into his side, tucking her head against his bare chest just to listen to his steady heartbeat and feel the warmth. It was the only time the temperature seemed to affect her and it was the most welcome feeling in the world.

The early mornings on Isle Esme were some of her favorite times spent on the island. The exotic birds began to wake up and sing their morning melodies, allowing the forest around them to come to life. The scent of morning dew would settle in her nose and as the sun peeked through the blinds Paul would finally shift.

With her cheek pressed firmly against his chest, she could hear the slight itch in his breath as he struggled to wake himself up. Eventually he settled and brought his hand up to run it through her dark hair, gently teasing out some knots with his fingers. "Good morning," she didn't move from her position on his chest as she spoke into his skin, pressing a soft kiss above his heart beat.

He chuckled and his deep voice practically resonated in her chest, "Good morning, babe..." Paul forced himself into a seating position and brought her up with him, moving her so that Maisie was sitting on his lap cradled against his chest, "How was your night?"

"Relaxing, not having to deal with you for a few hours."

Paul scoffed and pulled her tighter into the hug, kissing her cheek a few times, "You love dealing with me."

Maisie hummed and leaned into his touch, "Maybe I do."

"Well," Paul said, "I love dealing with you."

He turned her face so that he could kiss her, cradling her face in his calloused hands. Their time spent on Isle Esme was full of moments like these, and it really just showed her how amazing it was not to be surrounded by all the chaos. Sure, she loved being around the Cullens - they were as close to a real family (...besides Penny...) as she was going to get. However these moments of intimacy spent with Paul were so beautiful and treasured.

"I wish we could stay here forever," Maisie sighed leaning her forehead against his, "It's so nice to be alone with you."

Paul nodded in agreement, "We should get away more often," he said, "Maybe next time we could go visit your cabin?"

Maisie was honestly a little surprised that he even suggested that, considering she thought that he would be the first one to want to avoid being stuck in the middle of the woods with her sister. Though Maisie couldn't deny that she really missed Penny and Ariel, in all of her time as a vampire they hadn't been apart for this long. It felt strange not to see them every day, but another part of Maisie felt happy for this new found independence. Before she had met Paul she did everything with her sister and friend, but now she was living a life of her own. It was a nice change.