48 | Elvira

"I knew

"I knew." 

He looks away shamefully. And I look at Zane. But Zane has a glare on his face looking right at his father.

"Didn't expect any better." That makes his father look up at him wide-eyed. 

"Right," he swallows hard but doesn't make a move to explain like he is already accepting whatever Zane is going to tell him. That makes me frown, why isn't he explaining anything? Or saying anything?

Zane's glare only turns harsher. 

I am holding my breath for the time Zane will snap soon. 

"I didn't want to stop you from going to win Elvira, I wanted you to go and do it. To finally get something in your life that you find peace at, it isn't something everyone is able to get in life," Kevin sits down at the sofa in Zane's living room. His hands clasped together as if it's going to stop him from doing something.

"There was no way you would believe me. Look at you now, not thinking any different. It's what she wanted anyway. And she got it. With me lost with the battle with her," 

I take a small step closer to Zane and nudge him to go sit with him. He frowns looking down at me but I point with my eyes making him sigh and go over, sitting on the sofa adjacent to it. 

A clear sign of Zane giving him the chance now. 

I quickly go over and sit down next to Zane on the arm of the one-seat sofa. Instantly, Zane's arm goes around my waist before it tightens making me hold in a gasp. Heat rushes through my body but I hold it down. 

I can't think of Zane's hands on me when his father is trying to explain why he didn't tell him about his mother's actions. 

"She threatened me. With divorce. She said that if I were to tell you, she would use her charms on you and get you even further away from me than you were now. Why I didn't say anything? Because I knew, and she knew, that you were going to believe her. Wouldn't you?" He lifts his eyes, ones filled with vulnerability. Glossed over. 

I realise Zane got his eyes from his father. They look just like his, and there is a clear resemblance between them, the hair colour despite the flickers of white in Kevin's. Their eyes but also, Zane overall just looks like his father, but younger. It's crazy how much he looked like him. 

Irene is like the perfect female version of Kevin. 

Zane looks away at the question. 

That hurt. Even to me. 

"I won't blame you. She filled your brain with wrong things about me. That the money I want is for me? It's for her. She uses it to her liking. We don't even live in the same house for God's sake. But she kept filling you in with lies and lies and lies." I can see the anger rising in Kevin. And I can feel Zane tense next to me too.