The Timeline Restored

You walked into school the next day, hoping things would be normal between you and the Cobras. They had tried so hard to stop Johnny, to hold him back from chasing you down. Try as they might, they failed in the pursuit.

But you had assumed it was okay, right? The odds worked out in your favor at the end of it all. Johnny had redeemed himself somewhat.

But even after all of that, you still couldn't stop thinking about your uncle.

Why after all these years did he suddenly want to meet you? Why had he been keeping tabs on your family, knowing you and your mother would eventually move to Reseda? None of it sat right with you.

You walked into first period, your thoughts swirling. Ali and the boys were already in there, perking up at the sight of you.

"Hey!" Tommy smiled, "you're here!"

You returned the smile as you sat down, "of course I'm here, why wouldn't I be?"

Bobby, Jimmy, and Tommy all exchanged glances. Clearing his throat, Bobby looked at you.

"Johnny's not here today."

"Okay," you shrugged, "what does that have to do with me?"

"Well..." Jimmy chimed in, "he told us he was skipping school with you today."

"He what?"

The boys looked at each other, their eyes reading something along the lines of fear. Bobby's expression shifted to a mixture of shock and sorrow. "Don't tell me he-"

Jimmy nodded slowly.

Bobby gasped, "He didn't."

"He did." Tommy shook his head.

Your intrigue rose as Ali sat up in her seat, worry painted on her features. "Guys, what's going on?"

When the boys didn't respond, Ali's face fell in understanding. You didn't appreciate being left out of the loop, but you assumed it was a sensitive topic that shouldn't be spoken aloud.
•••
You had hoped that maybe in P.E., Dutch would slip. You hovered around the cobras, hoping to find out any information on Johnny's whereabouts.

When you found yourself gravitating toward the group for the fifth time in the span of two minutes, you froze. Why did you care where Johnny was? Surely it was only because your name was involved. Why would he say he was skipping school with you?

Why would he lie about such a thing?

Arriving at History, you had hoped Daniel would be there to discuss your project. When you saw his seat was empty, your heart dropped to your toes.

Daniel too?

After the period ended, you saw him rushing down the hallway passed you, his head held low. Calling out to him, he barely turned around.

"What's up?"

Your eyebrows snapped together in confusion. What was he hiding?

"Why weren't you in history class?"

"I uh- I got to school pretty late."