chapter nine

He'd only been on patrol for about an hour when he came across another deal. He wasn't sure exactly what it was, but they both had small bags and guns. What caught his attention though, was the same snake emblem he had seen two weeks ago when he took out those six guys.

There were only two guys this time, so they would be way easier to take down. But rather than just jumping straight in like last time, he focused his hearing on them, to try to get information.

His hearing may have been good, but he was still all the way across the street on top of a building. He caught a few words though, like "plans", "advanced", and "experiment", which were all somewhat concerning, but what really caught his attention were the words "Serpent" and "HYDRA".

Were these HYDRA guys? Or was one of them working for... Serpent? HYDRA was a familiar name to him, but what was Serpent? He'd have to get Ned's help to research it later.

While busy questioning what he had heard, he didn't realize the situation across the street was escalating. Within a minute, the guy with the snake emblem had his gun to the other guy's head.

Peter swung in there and swiftly took them both down. It was pretty easy considering they weren't expecting it and there were only two of them. Just like last time, he webbed them up, set the bags up the wall, and called the police before swinging away.

Except this time he didn't fail to notice Bucky. He failed to notice Natasha.

Natasha's POV

Everyone was gathered in one of the conference rooms, despite it being midnight. After telling Fury what happened, he had ordered everyone there.

Bucky was right. Whoever Spider-Man was, they were good. Took down two highly trained guys with guns in under five minutes and swung away unscathed.

"I told you to get this guy two weeks ago, and he's still out there swinging around while we still have no clue who he is. You've gone up to him multiple times and failed to get him all of them.

"You are the Avengers. There is no reason this guy should be getting away. Come up with a damn plan, and get him here asap!" He stormed out of the room, leaving a bunch of tired, annoyed Avengers.

They were somewhat annoyed at Fury for waking them up for a meeting in the middle of the night, yes, but they were also annoyed because he was right. They were the Avengers and some vigilante had beaten them multiple times.

So, they started coming up with a plan, and if it all worked well, they'd have Spider-Man by the morning.

––🕷––

(Still in Natasha's POV)

The Avengers sat around the edges of one of Tony's warehouses. It was small with only one big room. It was actually more like a barn, but there were tons of boxes and junk to hide behind. It was also wooden, which meant they could light it on fire.

It was a dangerous, somewhat stupid, yet simple plan. They had hidden a speaker under some boxes in the middle of the room. It would make it sound like there was someone in here. Spider-Man would swing in and try to help them, only to find it empty.

Except then, Tony and Thor would block the doors leaving him so that he couldn't get away like normal while he had to fight Nat, Bucky, Steve, Sam, and Clint.

They all had their masks on to filter out the smoke and they lit the building up. Tony said he never used this place anyway and didn't really remember buying it, so it was fine.

It didn't take long for Spider-Man to show up. He looked like he had already been injured. He had a small limp, favoring his right leg, and he was bleeding a lot. She hated to have to fight him while he was already injured and was breathing in smoke but had no choice.