Chapter 37

The group wants to have dinner together after the photo shoot but Ryujin has to skip it. She needs to go home and talk to Yuna.

Yeji has noticed Ryujin’s fidgety behavior but the woman won’t tell her what’s wrong. She knows that it’s because there are people around them but she can’t help but grow a little frustrated. She wants to go with her and find out what happened but on the other hand, she knows that as the maid of honor, it will be a bit strange and not to mention impolite to ditch her best friend.

“It’s okay. Go with them. I can pick you up later,” Ryujin says. Her body language clearly shows that she’s impatient. She can’t wait to get out of there and talk to Yuna.

With a sigh, Yeji says, “Alright. I’ll stay over at your place tonight.”

Ryujin nods then squeezes Yeji's hand before saying goodbye to the others. She rushes away, leaving Yeji staring at her until she can’t see her anymore.

“Is everything okay?” Jisu approaches Yeji and asks in a low voice.

“I don’t think so but she can’t tell me about it yet.”

“You can go with her, you know.”

“Nah. It’s fine. I shall first complete my duties as the maid of honor,” Yeji replies with an empty smile. Her eyes are still looking at the distance, to the direction where Ryujin has gone.

———————

“Yuna!” shouts Ryujin the moment she opens the door.

“What’s wrong, Unnie?” asks Yuna, rushing to the door. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine but…” Ryujin pauses when she sees Chaeryeong appearing next to her best friend. “Oh. You’re here?”

“I can leave if you want me to,” says Chaeryeong.

“You don’t have to.” Ryujin closes the door and goes inside, plopping down on the couch with a sigh. “Someone just recognized me at the park. She even called me by my old name.”

“W-what?!” exclaims Yuna, sitting down on the armchair.

Chaeryeong’s eyes widen in shock and for a second, she just stands where she is, unable to move.

Ryujin starts telling the two about the encounter at the park. She heaves another sigh after she’s done and rubs her face. “We have to move,” she says.

Yuna nods but then Chaeryeong, who has come to sit next to Ryujin, speaks, “But what about Yeji unnie? Would she move with you?”

“That’s what I’ve been constantly thinking about,” Ryujin says. “I’m sure she wouldn’t want to move. Not with Jisu’s wedding coming up soon.”

“We can come back for the wedding, just for a few days,” Yuna suggests.

“I don’t think that’s possible. It’s not just about the wedding,” replies Ryujin who then proceeds to tell them about Jisu and Yeji’s little dream of living near each other even after they got married, staying best friends forever.

The three then grow quiet, unsure what to say or do.

“Let’s backtrack slowly,” Yuna speaks up. “This woman has dementia, right? No one will believe her words.”