Chapter 16- Wands

After that night, things merely evolved into something bigger. Y/N actually thought that they might have the ending that they wanted, that everything was going to be okay. And it was, Severus was in the process of getting his memory back in pieces and he was falling in love with her again. He had a job, Y/N had a home and a partner, Jayden finally found someone to support him through his life.

But, of course, the thing that happened next completely crushed them all. It was the morning a week after their slow love-making session. Severus was already dressed with a black coffee in his hand at the table, ready to teach class soon, while Y/N made breakfast for both of them because she couldn't sleep properly without him next to her. 

They talked about what he was going to teach them today when the floo flared up. At first, they thought Jayden must've found a way to enter the quarters without trouble, mostly because of how often he visited and it was really their only guest until the figure stepped out. It didn't quite appear to be a boy with Slytherin robes but it was the Headmaster instead. Severus immediately downed his last bit of coffee and sat up straighter. 

He hadn't expected him and it made him more nervous than he'd like to admit. Y/N realized how much the man looked up at Dumbledore, not just as a father figure of some sort but also because he admired his strength. Y/N stayed out of Severus' reasons as she thought differently about Dumbledore and she didn't want to ruin his perspective of him for him.

"Albus," He said stiffly, standing up from the table to greet him with more taste like Lucius taught him back when he was younger. Albus smiled his well-known smile, and although it might seem innocent to the public eye, they both recognized there was more to the story of why he was visiting.

"Sit down." Albus accepted the tea that was offered and asked Y/N for some private time with Severus. As much as she wanted to resist getting sent away like a child, she obliged and decided to do a little cleaning up in the bedroom from last night's activities. She was done rather quickly and couldn't help but let curiosity win over dignity. She opened the door and heard the muffled voices. She couldn't get closer to them, else they'd see her so she merely stood there and did her best to pick up every word.

"-And we can't have any more trouble at the moment, Severus. Especially after the war ended, we have a lot of catching up to do so we can't afford this. Imagine what it might be like if this news gets into the papers. We already have a bad reputation." A moment of silence and then the sound of someone pouring tea in a cup.

"I understand, although I fail to see the connection. What does this have to do with me? I hope you aren't accusing me of misleading my snakes." Albus chuckled sadly while Y/N was too puzzled to even pay attention to it. What were they talking about?

"My child, it has everything to do with you. The mother is going to have an interview with Rita Skeeter about the unfairness and mistreatment of the students. We can't have the wrong attention drawn to us. It's for the best if you resign." That's when it all came in. That's when she realized what was going on and that's when she realized this conversation revolved around Severus getting fired because of Jayden's mother. 

That's when even Severus was speechless, the man who had done nothing else but protect children and help them accept themselves for who they were and he was getting fired over it. Y/N couldn't handle the silence and slammed the door open, striding towards them.

"How dare you fire him. You fucking bastard," She screamed. Dumbledore appeared shocked by Y/N's unruly behaviour and how she lashed out like that. And, indeed, that wasn't often. Perhaps more often than in her past.

"Darling, it's okay. It's fine." Just as Y/N balled her hand in a fist and was ready to punch Dumbledore in his face, Severus quickly extended a hand and wrapped his thin fingers around her wrist, pulling her into an embrace.