ɪ.ɪx - ʜᴇʀᴏ ᴀᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ

"A genuine hero will not be measured by their strength, but rather the strength of their hearts

"A genuine hero will not be measured by their strength, but rather the strength of their hearts. A sentence, she will no longer sing to remind the fallen guardian angel."

☔︎ ɪx - ʜᴇʀᴏ ᴀᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ
Volume 1
__

     They say that the most dangerous place is inside a person's mind. A beautiful servant yet a dangerous master is the rightful title given to the human's mind. A dangerous weapon is what they view the mind as—how it's a danger to the possessor if they cannot discreetly use it. Ask anyone what's more deadly, a gun or a thought? Those who aren't knowledgeable would automatically say it's the gun, its bullets damaging the physical structure to the brink of death. The other half would either stop to weigh the options, or immediately say "A thought." Bluntly, they'll say that a gun gives you the opportunity, but a thought? A thought pulls the trigger.

     The adrenaline in Verity's veins slowly died down, which also meant the pain she endured welcomed her even deeper. Luckily, the four demigods were up in the air; the chilly breeze graciously flew passes by. When she was told their transportation was a mechanical dragon, she wasn't expecting to see the Bronze Dragon. It made her somewhat happier to know that the unnamed automaton dragon was now given a name—Festus, which is quite odd to name it after the emotion "Happy."

     The dragon also seemed to recognize her, both already having to spend time before whenever Beckendorf— the dragon's previous caretaker, offered her the chance. Due to a tragic event, Festus went haywire after Beckendorf death, not only did his death pained many, but the dragon seemed to react worse. All sad memories aside, she was glad Festus had a new caretaker.

"How's the ride so far warrior princess?" Leo jokingly asks.

Hesitantly, she responded "Not bad, nice to see you took advantage of that big brain of yours."

     Leo hums in satisfaction, soon returning to the conversation he had with Piper. The order of their seating was as follows; Leo as pilot, Piper, unconscious Jason, lastly Verity. Guiltily, she took the responsibility to take care of their slumbering friend. One arm was laid firmly yet gently around his waist, in order to prevent him from accidentally slipping off, the other was under his arm, not really holding his waist but rested against his stomach. It was a weird position he was in, Jason was mostly laid out, legs limply hanging off the dragon—one on each side, his back was mostly pressed against her torso and lap while his head was between her shoulder and chest.

     Verity hazel iris scanned the sky surrounding them, then laid her eyes on the two demigods. They were joking with one another, bringing up old memories, or trying to get their mind off the current quest. Occasionally, they questioned her in thought, opinions, or vote on a topic yet her responses were a stern gaze, short heartless sentences or not a single acknowledgement. Deep down she felt displeased with herself, the way her actions were starting to turn callous, the slow pace of her heart becoming stone; it was all affecting the way she communicated with her acquaintances. Verity saw the look in their eyes; the mixture of confusion, hurt, concern, curious, it was nonstop. As much as she wanted to apologize for her behavior, she couldn't, Verity was unable to allow her vocals to come out.