xɪ - 𝟹 ᴠs. 𝟷?

"The sun is alone too, but it still shines

"The sun is alone too, but it still shines...doesn't it my dear?"

☔︎ xɪ - 𝟹 ᴠs. 𝟷?
Volume 1
__

    She was no stranger, to the monster inside her head. The constant mocks of the past and a never ending mental torture. Verity never asked for this punishment, she never begged for a persistent reminder of the many deaths she could've prevented, she didn't seek the betrayal of her own mind and neither did she wish for such complexity.

     Verity taught herself to never let down her mask, the charade she learned was used to mislead others from discovering the truth, an actor following the script of her own plays. Growing up she realized that the campers needed someone who showed hope against all evil, one who doesn't cower and allow themselves to join the others in pure panic. She enjoyed observing others, to learn and gain new knowledge of wrongs to right. That's how she realized the chain reaction, a domino effect—if one panics, the rest follows. After being titled as camp's own hope, she realized that she was no longer allowed to let her sadness roam, she had to be there for them, even if it meant growing up at a young age.

     Everyday she fought against the deep drop stomach feeling, the clenching of her heart, the tears threatening to blur her vision. At last, she became a great actor. Tending others and comforting them, she believed that someone like her doesn't have the right to feel gloomy, she couldn't be the campers' hope if she was grieving. Yet, often she found herself relying more on Percy behind the scenes and slowly she allowed a few others more, just to witness their deaths.

     Verity shoulders slightly slouch down, to witness brutal deaths in front of her vision was a major traumatic experience, especially if it was at an unexpected age. Their pleas for help was embodied in her brain, the guilt was enough to trigger her daily. Despite all this, she played alongside fate's game, displaying a large smile and showing kindness to help comfort those from the past, she played the role of an actress. Though, not everyone was oblivious to the girl's coping mechanisms or the false joy she radiates during camp activities.

"Verity."

     The said girl tensed, it was a voice she hasn't heard since the war—If you exclude the awkward encounter a month afterwards. Verity was hoping she was simply facing another run, just along the riverside memory lane.

"Odessa Verity Everdeen, signed in school systems as Verity Jackson, prefers Verity. However, Jackson? I do wonder why."

     Verity clenched her jaw, her surroundings were blurred and focused on the figure standing on the other side of the fountain. Flickering dangerously, as her mind could no longer differentiate a hallucination, illusion, or reality.