Eavesdropping

Yuno missed Asta again.

He swore under his breath as the short boy walked away together with the other two. One being a devil to be his brother.

I can never get used to seeing that devil . . .

Yuno shook his head as he turned back to the building. He has been meaning to catch Asta since last Saturday. He had been heading to town each time in hopes of finding him. Although he sees his Black Bull friends, he swears he caught a glimpse of ash blond wisps in the crowd before it disappears. He can't imagine Asta avoiding him. Running away like that. Did Asta fear him?

Yuno's heart ached both with anger and hurt. 

Feelings for his little, loud friend has been growing immensely through the years. Not to mention painfully more with Asta's body development. His heart pounded by the sudden images of Asta's topless body; muscles flashing through his mind. His face grew hot. Startled by his sudden emotions, hoping no one seen him flushed, Yuno took the short cut as he flew up to his bedroom window, thankful that Mimosa has already left. He needed to be alone. 

This has been happening to him whenever Asta appeared in his mind. Not just his face, but his body. Seeing those flashes of his muscles warping through his consciousness was torture whenever he was out. Klaus would ask if he was feeling alright and he would consistently nod, dismissing it as the outdoor heat. Klaus was certainly skeptical with the temperatures being dire, not even close to a heat wave, but he would let Yuno be unless it were serious.

Yuno was grateful for that. He needed his own space. However, with such thoughts intruding his mind, soon came in the not so innocent ones. He could never be alone, can he? It only got worse when the real Asta came. Whenever they'd meet, Yuno began the paranoia of his face growing red. He wouldn't want to lose his cool. The result of that made him cold towards Asta. He'd have his head down, or a quick nod of acknowledgement whenever eye contact was made with the other. Any longer than that and he would be a mess.

Things just needed to be the same. He couldn't change their friendship or rivalry like that, but he didn't say anything to the other and yet here he is avoiding him like he's a scary devil. God forbid how he's interacting with Liebe more normally than with Yuno. 

He remembered a time being extremely apathetic to Asta after the Royal Knight's selection test. Asta had been to the verge of exhaustion, sprawled over the infirmary bed as he walked in to visit. He knew he felt a wave of dizziness from the sight. Asta's abs and triceps were a sight, glowing graciously in the light of the room which he needed to turn away quickly, feeling hot once again. Klaus's voice was heard in the distance. He ignored, knowing he's about to question and lecture about his horrible attitude for leaving his friend like that.

He wanted to be in doubt, but he knew he'd hurt Asta in the slightest for that. He didn't know how he thought though. It's been a while since they ever had a proper conversation. Let alone, meet up unexpectedly in town. If only he knew that in truth, Asta felt horrible when he left him in the infirmary. Asta had the impression of disappointing Yuno for ending up injured while Yuno himself seemed unscathed. 

All in all, Asta avoiding him ticked him off. Sure, Yuno is doing the same thing, but for a good cause. However, he felt angered when Asta did it. What was the reason?

He decided to leave in the evening. The sun began to set as he departed heading towards town, hoping to clear the mess of thoughts clouding his head.

* * *

Asta and Noelle sat on a bench outside a store after witnessing Charmy ripping her love letter to shreds with her little hands. They walked on here after a short mission dealing with the boars once again, watching the sun set into the distance. Sitting in silence, the usual loud voice filled Noelle's ears as Asta began complimenting the ice cream in his hand. Words poured out until it halted suddenly, Asta scanning the passersby as it fell on a man with black hair. He sighed in relief that it wasn't Yuno. Though, he guessed Noelle caught on the moment his body tensed as she began to ask, "You thought that wasYuno, wasn't it? Why? Were you about to run away again?"

* * *

Yuno was unnerved by the mention of his name. He turned a corner to unexpectedly see Asta and Noelle sitting together on a bench. He stumbled slightly, missing a footing. He moved up the wall, leaning back to portray that he's relaxing, minding his own business.  Ears perked, listening in on to the conversation. 

He knew it was bad of him to do so, but if it's about him, it's practically his business, especially if Asta is part of the discussion.

* * *

"W-What? No, I'm not going to run away, Noelle!" Asta exclaimed.

"Oh, yeah, I've seen you turn away whenever you've spotted Yuno at town ever since we came here. You seem more worked up now after that whole shenanigan's at his squad base." Noelle explained.

"Well, who wouldn't!? I practically did a crime, Noelle! And did you see how pissed Yuno was?"

Noelle stared, "No."

Asta groaned. Noelle's expression softened, she noticed Asta's behaviour towards Yuno and wanted to address it, "Asta . . . I've noticed something." 

Asta turned, an eyebrow raised, "What?"

"You, well . . . I've seen how hesitant you've been towards Yuno. It's like you're hiding from him."

Asta stiffened, "I - well, Noelle," Asta decided to admit his inner struggling. He wanted to talk to someone about it, "I'm going to be honest."

"Alright."

"Have you ever felt, uh, well . . . intimidated by someone suddenly even though you're meant to be close to?" Asta said slowly, eyeing Noelle curiously. 

Noelle nodded, "My siblings, but things are progressing slowly . . . what's that got to do with you?"

Asta bit his lip, thinking before he responded, "It just happened suddenly. The thoughts. I'm just starting to realise it, but I think Yuno's tired of me."

Noelle's eyes widen, jaw dropping, "HUH?"

-----------------------------------------

Author's note

It's already a few 1000+ words. I did tell myself I would publish every thousand to make things quick.

PHEEEZ! You guys are the best!

300+ reads? That's serious whack! Huge surprise coming up next chapter 🌚

New chapter every week! For sure. No scam.

---------------------------------------------