FORTY-THREE

My excitement level is at an all time high. It has been a while since I have looked forward to something with such enthusiasm and it's nothing but smiles as Liam and I set out for my mom's place. The journey is long but I spend most of it asleep, as expected. And it's not even sunset before we arrive at our destination.

Jason is joining us to attend the conference along with a few warriors that Liam brought as guards. They will be leaving for the Blood Moon Pack and staying the night there. It is tradition for the pack hosting the conference to host all of the attendees but Liam has simply informed them that he will be arriving on the day of the meeting, which will be tomorrow.

As the car stops in front of the house, my mom is already out of the door to welcome us, as if sensing my presence. I run up to her and grab her in a bear hug, nestling my head into her apple scented hair. All of my worries simply melt away in her embrace.

"Hi, baby," she coos as she rubs her hand up and down my back, softly.

"Hey, mom. I missed you," I pull back and she looks me up and down with her hands on my shoulders before letting me go.

"And you must be Liam," she states as her eyes land on him standing two steps behind me.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Mrs. Jennings," he smiles and extends his hand forward but my mom just engulfs him into a hug.

"Oh nonsense, you must call me Martha," she chides.

After the pleasantries and questions about our journey, we eventually head inside.

"Well, George is away on a meeting tonight and won't be back until tomorrow so it's going to be just us," Mom informs as we all settle down into the living room.

The conversation is delightful and Liam seems to be really getting along with my mother. She tells him embarrassing stories about my childhood while I groan in embarrassment. Liam is obviously enjoying it very much and keeps looking at me with a huge grin on his stupid face. Time seems to pass by so fast and soon it's time for dinner.

"Since I was home today, I decided to cook dinner myself," my mom announces.

We help her set everything up and soon the three of us are digging into some mouthwatering lasagna and a broccoli chicken casserole.

"So Liam, has your pack been treating my daughter nicely?" My mom questions. She covers it with a laugh but I know she's genuinely concerned.

"Of course, mom," I answer but Liam adds on.

"Everyone loves April. I think some of them might even like her more than they like me," he chuckles and that seems to satisfy my mother.

After dinner, Liam and I offer to clean up and my mom gladly accepts. She had never been one to be much interested in kitchen work, even though she never fails to make me my favorite food. She leaves us to straighten everything and returns a little while later when we're almost done. I'm putting the last of the dishes into the dishwasher so only Liam notices her.

"I think you're probably really tired by now. Why don't I show you to your room?" She offers him.

"I knew where my room is, mother," I state with an eye roll as I join Liam by his side.

"Right, right," she chuckles lightly.

We all make our way upstairs, through the hallway, and finally into my room. It's not nearly as large as the rooms in Liam's house but it's big enough to accommodate a queen sized bed, a desk on one corner, and a small couch on the other. Liam is the first one to enter, leaving Mom and I in the hallway outside.