FOURTEEN

Liam

We get into the car and I start driving. It's been a few minutes and neither of us has spoken. River is thrilled to finally have our mate so close to us.

After she refused to come with me to the pack, I could feel myself lose control to River. He wanted to go after her and beg her to come with us. We have waited so long and he didn't want to be away from her anymore. I knew I couldn't do that so I ran into the nearby woods as fast as I could and shifted, my clothes ripping to shreds. I had hoped a run would calm him down.

I couldn't be more glad that I did that because if we hadn't been in the woods, Daxton would've taken her away. Just thinking about that enrages both me and River and all I want is to go rip that asshole to pieces for as much as looking at our mate.

The silence has started to get awkward now and I can sense that April is feeling uncomfortable. River wants me to talk to her, to touch her, but I keep him under control.

Being this close to her is igniting feelings inside me that I've never felt before. Feelings so strong, it's hard to keep them at bay. That night at the club when I saw that man touching her, I completely lost it. She is mine now and no one should even look at her without my permission.

Lucas was upset with me for lashing out at her but seeing her so close with another guy was infuriating. I've been waiting for her for years, trying to stay away from other women, no matter how much they throw themselves at me. Was it too much to expect the same from my mate?

April starts meddling with some knobs on the radio and soon some music starts playing. She keeps the volume low. After a couple of songs have played, she finally looks up at me and speaks.

"How did you know Daxton would be coming after me?"

"I didn't."

"Then how come you were there just in time to save me from him," she asks curiously.

Great, I'm being interrogated now.

"I was just running in the woods nearby when I came across your scent," I answer, trying not to give it away that I was only there because she pissed me off.

She nods and stays quiet for a few seconds.

"So what will happen to your car?"

"What?" I ask, confused about what she is talking about.

"Well, you're going back home in mine, so how will yours get back?"

"I already asked Lucas to bring it. We were both supposed to go back together. That is, until, I had to take care of other things," I say while rolling my eyes.

"The other thing being me," she says quietly while looking straight ahead.

"Mmhmm," I mumble.

She's trying to have a conversation with me and I'm completely botching it.

"Well, tell me about your family," she demands out of nowhere.

"You know, you ask way too many questions," I reply.

"I just wanted to know what I'm walking into," she retorts. I can sense that she is starting to get annoyed by my impolite answers.

"We'll get there soon enough and you can meet everyone yourself."

She doesn't say anything after that and a few minutes later, I look towards her to see that she has dozed off. Her neck is hanging to the side and it looks uncomfortable. I reach my hand over to straighten it, feeling tingles where my hand comes in contact with her.

As if responding to my touch, she moves a little and brings her head over to rest against my arm before getting lost in a deep sleep again. I know she did that unconsciously because awake April is not a big fan of me. Sparks travel all over my body from where she's touching me. River is over the moon to finally be so close to his mate. We're only an hour's drive away from the pack and I drive slow to make this moment last as long as possible.

We've almost reached when I feel her waking up. As soon as she realises her posture, she jolts up and moves towards her seat. I can feel the absence of her warmth, making me wish for more. I repress a growl from River, who is also upset at the sudden loss of touch of our mate.

"Sorry," she mumbles and starts rubbing her right eye with her fist. She sits up straight looking straight ahead. I can tell that she feels a little embarrassed. Luckily that doesn't last long as the pack houses come into view. It's almost dark outside and you can see the lights shining, embellishing the houses. We're deep inside the forest and the road ended a long while ago so no human can accidentally barge in. I decide to park the car at the outskirts of the pack and walk to the house. This way she can look around and familiarise herself with the surroundings.

I get out and quickly walk to her side to open her door. She steps outside and and I can see her eyes go wide, taking in the sight in front of her. The soft, warm lights outside are making her blue eyes twinkle and her face glow beautifully.

"Wow," she exclaims softly bringing me out of my daze. I didn't realise I was staring at her.

Get your shit together, Liam.

I turn, facing the pack and clear my throat.

"Welcome to the Wolf Moon Pack."

Hey guys! I hope you're enjoying the story. Don't forget to vote and comment. <3