introduction

•TRIGGER WARNING— DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU ARE IN A BAD MENTAL STATE•

Maybe I was jumping into the deep end.

But I wanted to do anything and everything possible to make grandpa and grandma know that I didn't want to be at this college anymore. This wasn't my happy valley—this was a valley of depression.

And I was drowning in it.

So I broke the lease.

Can you blame me—really can you?

I mean I wasn't that far away from Sloane and Finn—I was right across the hallway from them. But still, it's time that I stopped taking bullshit from everyone else and I needed to stand up for myself.

Which meant, I wasn't going to be known as Naomi anymore. I was Ellie. Well, Ellison, but anything but fucking Naomi. I loved my older cousin but not enough to want to be her.

So—as you might have guessed it, stealing grandma and grandpa's credit cards to purchase a new apartment wasn't fun. In fact—I was being punished for it. I mean, I thought that this would give them a more coherent idea that I didn't want to be at this fucking college.

I wanted to be in Ohio.

I wanted to be away from here—away from everyone I knew, I didn't want anyone to know me.

I was so much more than my last name.
I was so much more than coach's granddaughter.

I was so much more than Penn's sister.

And I was so much more than Naomi Black.

I narrowed my eyes at the time at the bottom right—hand corner of my computer screen. I didn't want to wear my glasses because what if I looked weird? I mean the pink highlights already made me stand out enough.

Oh yeah, pink highlights. You guys probably already could guess how grandpa reacted to that shit.

Penn just told him I was going through a midlife crisis, but I wasn't.

I was going through withdrawals.

Withdrawals because every time I searched up 'Ohio State' on Instagram, I would get sad. Sadder than sad—I would become overtaken by emotions. Because everyone else was enjoying their dream at their dream college.

While I was stuck here because my college was free and almost everyone in my family went here. I mean everyone except grandma and grandpa funnily enough.

Somehow they could go to a different college but it's okay I couldn't?

So to try to piss them off I have for one, stolen their credit card information and move into an apartment across the hall, and number two, I have put temporary pink highlights in my hair. I was going to do permanent but I was only doing it for a cry for help.