thirty-five

Ellie Webber

Ellie Webber

I never had self-esteem.

I never had confidence.

I never had the courage that others do.

I had everything materially but what I wish I had wasn't able to be bought. It had to be taught, it had to be felt.

Life was deceiving.

One day you could be on top of the world and then the next day you could fall hard on your ass. You could fall so hard that nobody can pick you up except yourself. Life will look you in the eyes and make you feel like everything bad that had ever happened to you was your fault.

Life does not care.

So why was I still living?

"Ellie," I covered my mouth as I tried to muffle the cries that left my body.

Another sign that life was looking me in the eyes, telling me everything that I had done was my fault.

How do you take someone's virginity and not fucking know?

How did Mitchell not tell them that we didn't fuck?

I thought I had one-upped him in the library but he was winning– he was winning by a long fucking shot. He took my self-esteem and stomped all over it.

I thought that virginity was special. I thought that it was important. I was always told from a young age, 'don't give it up to a boy that won't give you anything back in return' and I did get something back in return.

Life's stone-cold– bone-chilling, slap to my face.

"For fucks sake, Ellie. I am in Europe and there is nothing I can do. You need to go see Sloane," I took in a deep breath, wiping my cheeks.

But I didn't want Sloane.

Sloane couldn't fix a mess that she didn't know happened.

"Drive to the apartment and go see, Sloane." He was so aggravating.