fourteen

Reese Joseph

Reese Joseph

"Dear JMR69,

My apologies but tutoring services will no longer be offered through me.

Best,

EW123"

My eyes bulged out of my head as I receive that email about an hour after sending it. Absolutely no way I was now stuck in this predicament. What the actual hell? Furrowing my eyebrows I reread the email over and over. Were my eyes deceiving me?

"If you're gonna stare that deeply at your phone screen, you might as well kiss it." I spun on my feet, locking my phone as I didn't want anyone to read the email I had sent. "Hey, Sloane!" I sang her name as she walked over to me like the smoke show she was.

"What brings you here?" I asked as she gave me a confused look.

"What? I can't come over anymore since my boyfriend doesn't live here anymore?" She curled up on my side as I lounged on the couch. I missed her.

"You okay?" I asked her as she hugged me, squeezing the life out of me. I hadn't even stood up, she had completely come into the house, uninvited, and just decided to come to cuddle with me on the couch? What a little weirdo.

"Yeah," She said hesitantly.

"Sorry, you're just like the closest thing I have to Blake right now. Obviously, there's Matti too but I wouldn't touch that man with a ten-foot pole." I snorted as I rubbed the top of her hoodie-covered back.

Sitting up she nodded towards me, "What were you doing?" She asked as I sighed.

"Trying to get a tutor for English," I spoke with a groan. The television that played across from the couch played the ESPN highlights from football last week. I don't know how we kept this place looking so...fresh.

The hardwood floors, the nice furniture—how did we do it?

"If I was good at it, I would help you." I appreciated her offer but right now, I needed someone to help me. "It's the second week of classes, are you failing already?" She asked as I sighed.

"That's the thing, I'm not failing-" She cut me off.

"Then why are you looking? If you think that you'll fail then you're not putting your mind to succeeding. If you're thinking about failure you will fail," Damn, she did not have to call me out like that.

She did have a point.

"It's just for a precaution. Like if I were to start struggling, I would have one set up." She made a face before frowning. "Why are you looking for one- aren't you guaranteed one because of your dyslexia?" I didn't like her throwing around that D-word but I shook my head.

"No—I would rather solve the problem on my own. And although I am guaranteed services, they aren't guaranteed to have someone help me. If I can't find someone to help me, the professors are supposed to help me. But my English professor is a total bitch," Which she was.