Chapter 39

Not long after mom left me alone with dad, who was still asleep, I decided to walk around the hospital and buy something to eat from the cafeteria.

I passed by the door with the name plate- 'Ms. Frost, Psychiatrist'

Ms Frost might be able to help me.

I stopped in front of her door.

But...what if she tells dad? This is risky. I can't go to her unless dad's discharged from here.

I left for the cafeteria. I had money only for one sandwich, which is why I wasn't full. I wasn't like other teens who got allowance equal to half of their parents' monthly salary. We weren't poor. It was because I never asked for allowance. My parents bought me everything i asked for, then why would I ever need money for myself?

"I'm bad at remembering names but..." I heard a woman speak from my right,"Gwen Smith?"

"Ms. Frost," I smiled and motioned her to sit beside me on the long, wooden bench in the garden.

"Oh no, I have an appointment to attend in 5. Just came out in the sun for a bit." She said while glancing at her wrist watch.

"How's Kelly?" I asked, remembering the cute, little and imaginative girl.

"She's great, just stealing red pens from my cabin." She laughed.

"Oh, why's that?" I asked.

"She gets obsessed with a particular thing for a few days, then moves to another one. So this time, it's red pens." She said," I have to go now."

"I'll come with you. I'm done eating." I said and she welcomed me with a smile.

We returned to the main building while chatting away about my school and her job. She was a sweet and kind lady, I could tell by the way she talked to me. She even asked me to be at her wedding next month and I told her i would try my best, if I could skip school that day.

"Your dad is in the other ward, right?" she asked as we stood outside her cabin.

"Yes, a light-bulb fell on his head." I said, trying hard not to giggle at my own dad.

"I hope he's okay. It can be bad sometimes." She said showing her concern.

"He's fine." I said," Are you sure you're not getting late for the appointment?"

"Oh right, Kelly's in there so i might have to clean up whatever mess she's created.l've to look more professional rather than a nanny." She laughed and opened the door of her cabin and closing it behind her.

I smiled and was about to turn on my heel to walk back to dad when Ms. Frost rushed out of her cabin.

"What's wrong?" I asked her. She looked panicked.

"Kelly, she's not in there! I left her here and there's no way she can reach the door knob." She explained.

"We'll find her. Don't worry, okay?" I calmed her down.

How could Kelly possibly go out?

"She's on the wheelchair. It's certain she hasn't gone far." I said.

"Yeah, I was out for just 5 minutes." She agreed. We decided that she'd look on the ground floor, just in case Kelly took the elevator.

Meanwhile I looked on the same floor and went around in all the wards of that corridor. I asked people if they saw a little girl on the wheelchair but no one had seen her go that way.

"I think I saw her go to the restroom." An old man answered as i asked about her.

"Are you sure?"

"I remember so." He said and I hurried towards the women's room on the same corridor.