Chapter 85

The day of the memorial service

Gwen

23rd December

I left the house quietly, wearing a white turtleneck sweater and a black blazer over it with black pants, without waking mom and dad. It was drizzling outside. The morning chilly breeze and raindrops made the day even sad for a handful of people attending the service. Elijah had told me the people who were on the list and it definitely didn't include Edwin and his father. I didn't even expect anyone from Ethan's family to be on the list because he had only known two people as his family who also ditched him.

I wiped off the water from my black blazer which I couldn't save from getting wet even under the umbrella as I got off the taxi. The gates to the cemetery ground were wide open and I could see a few people dressed in black roaming around.

I walked with sturdy steps, because I was afraid I would fall because of how I was feeling as I was slowly approaching the grave of the one I loved. I looked around and saw a group of people standing at the grave of their dear one, not caring if they were getting drenched in rain. It was foggy, but I could see the tears in their eyes.

I continued looking around when I finally spotted Elijah and his father dressed in black tux suits with black bows and their best shoes. I froze and stood where I was. I didn't want to go anymore near Ethan's grave.

I watched Elijah say something to his dad before he started walking towards me. I dropped the umbrella on the side, letting the droplets hit me. Elijah looked at me in surprise as his pace got faster and he quickly approached me. He picked up the umbrella and shielded me from the raindrops while he himself was getting doused.

"You'll catch a cold." He said. I lowered my head, slowly shaking my head in denial and stepped back. He furrowed his eyebrows but the next moment, he closed the umbrella and grabbed my arm to take me along.

I felt relief flush over as the drops fell on my cheeks. I could finally cry without Elijah noticing it.

Elijah

Even though it was hard to tell between raindrops and tears, I knew she was crying.

A few minutes passed as we waited for the fourth and last person to join us.

"I couldn't get flowers." Gwen said in her tiny voice and I looked over my shoulder, finding her shivering in cold.

"It's completely fine." I reassured her.

"It's not." She looked like she was hating herself for not bringing flowers for Ethan. I looked at dad who was talking to another man. I walked over to them and carefully picked out a white rose from the bouquet that dad had brought for Ethan.

I went back to Gwen and gave her the rose," Here. Give this to him." I said and she immediately looked up at me with an expression I couldn't name. It was more than a 'Thank you.'

"I'm so sorry I'm late!" A woman exclaimed as she approached me and Gwen. Dad too walked over to us as we all gathered.

"Ms. Frost..." Gwen uttered as she saw the last person we had invited. She smiled and they hugged each other.

"Shall we proceed?" Dad asked and received a nod from all three of us. We followed him further into the Memorial ground. Dad was leading, I was following behind and Gwen and Ms. Frost were walking together with their arms tugged into each others.

The rain was getting heavier and the breeze was blowing a lot more faster. Dark clouds soon took over. It was the coming of a thunderstorm.
.
.
.