Chapter 4....

"Celebrate it with me." Once the words left my mouth I froze. Did I really just say that? I wasn't sure what spurred me to say it. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't want to be alone on Christmas, or my huge crush talking for me, or that I don't want him to be working. Maybe all of the above.

"What?"

"Um." Noah gaze was hot against my face as I played with my fingers. I was basically asking my boss out and for Christmas none the less. "If you wanted you could come by tonight and have dinner. Not as a date or anything just a friendly dinner. Get you out of the office for a bit. You don't have to though, you may have something else planned anyways, so just scratch the whole idea." I rambled on. Inwardly I was slapping myself for talking so much.

When Noah didn't say anything I felt my face heat up and I sunk a bit in the chair. Shouldn't have said anything. Now I just made it awkward between us. I wanted nothing more than to get out of here. Right as I was about to stand up and leave Noah finally spoke.

"I'd like that." His response had me stop and stare wide mouthed.

"Did you just say yes?"

"I did." Noah had a teasing smile on his face as he looked at me, gaping like a fish.

"Okay...okay great." I leaned back in my chair letting it sink in that my boss just agreed to come over and have a Christmas eve dinner with me. I didn't really think he would agree honestly.

"Does 7 o'clock work for you?" His question brought me back to earth.

"Y-yeah that works for me."

"Do you need me to bring anything?"

"You are good, I'll have everything." I stood up on suddenly weak legs. "Here is my address." I quickly wrote it down on a sticky note he had on the corner of his desk.

"Sounds good. I'll be there at seven." I looked up and noticed his green eyes were sparkling and he had a small smile on his face. I instantly smiled back before heading for the door. Sending him one last look I left his office.

Did that really just happen? Is my boss/crush coming to my house? And to top it all off I had eight hours to go buy food for tonight, clean my house, shower and make dinner. I was suddenly questioning why I suggested this.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Somehow when the clock hit 7 I had everything done. I had no clue how I managed to do it but I did. After I left Noah's office I booked it home to get ready so I could get to the store. Because of the weather I knew it would take a bit to get a taxi anywhere, so the sooner I got ready the sooner I could get home.

It was actually the first time in two years I was excited about christmas. I had to keep telling myself that having Noah over wasn't a big deal and nothing would come of it, but it wasn't working too well. Every time I thought about Noah being here my heart raced and I grinned like an idiot. I was really just making it worse for myself.

For dinner I thought I'd do something simple yet good, which lead me to make my moms favorite lasagna recipe. I learned to cook after my mom got sick. I didn't want my mom to worry about anything so I found recipes online and in cookbooks, and slowly I learned to cook more than grill cheese. Plus she loved to try new recipes, so it worked out for both of us.

I didn't mind cooking even if it was just me now. I had a lot of leftovers but it was nice when I got home late from work I didn't have to order anything. Being able to cook for someone other than myself felt nice. I was slightly worried Noah wouldn't like it but I kept my fingers crossed.

While the lasagne was cooking I made a quick salad and then went to get ready. I wanted to impress Noah but at the same time worried it would be too much. I was nervous about him coming to my apartment. It wasn't anything grand, like his place, and only had two bedrooms but it was home.

We moved here right before my mom got sick. I thought about moving and getting a new place that wouldn't have such sad memories but I couldn't leave this place. My mom loved it and everywhere I looked I could see a little bit of her. It always made me feel better.

Getting dressed in a pair of black skinny jeans and a cute maroon sweater with a heart on it, I went to put on a little bit of makeup. Noah didn't need to see the bags under my eyes. I wasn't much of a makeup girl. I was more focused on my mom and school work to care about the way I looked.

I never really cared about how guys saw me. Boys were on the back burner for me until college. When my mom got a tad bit better she pushed me to go on dates, saying I needed to experience life a bit more. After a lot of persuasion from my mom I accepted a date offer and got my first boyfriend.

It didn't last long. None of my relationships lasted longer than 5 months. I was just too busy with my mom, working, and school to really have time for a boyfriend. I was a horrible girlfriend because I would sometimes forget about dates or show up late.

Last year I did have a pretty serious relationship. With my mom gone and only having one job I fully committed to it. It was nice not to be alone and I actually felt myself falling in love. But of course something good never lasts. He ended up cheating on me a few days before my birthday.

Ever since I haven't been involved with anyone. I've been fine crushing on my boss from afar and being alone. At times it sucked but I didn't mind.

Just as I was running a brush through my brown hair a knock on my door made me jump. Swallowing I stared at my reflection for a moment.

"Just be yourself Millie, but not too much. Don't embarrass yourself." I told myself. Giving myself an encouraging smile I turned away from the mirror and went to answer the door.