Chapter 14: friends don't

A month later
Life update: Carlos is doing ways better. He's almost made a full recovery. In other news, being just friends with Luke isn't what I thought. It's so awkward. I can't bare to be around him, my feelings can't anyway

"Did you hear about the party?" Nick ask, sitting down and stealing a fry. I smack his hand and he acts mock offended. I throw him a smile.

"I hear it's gonna fucking awesome!" Flynn exclaims.

"We have to go y'all, it's supposed to be the best party of the year" Taylor coos. I know they're all looking at me, mostly because I'm the stick in the mud. Normally I'd worry if Luke would be there. Or worse, Bailee. That little ska- anyways

"I'm in if y'all are" I say, taking a sip of my cola.

"Really? That's a miracle!" Nick cheers. I roll my eyes and the rest of the table giggles

"So does this mean your over..." Flynn ask, letting the end hang.
"Me and Luke are friends. Just friends and only friends. Everything is totally fine"

"Well either way, this will be great" Flynn says, positively. I smile a little despite the thought of Luke in the back of my head.

He's always in the back of my brain.

"Lu- that guy doesn't deserve you anyways" Taylor says, trying to helpful.

Maybe they're right? It's just hard to get over him. He's done so much for me.

"Friday night is gonna be awesome!" I smile.

Friday
"What do you think about this dress?" I ask Flynn and Taylor, showing off a dress that's just a little too tight in all the right places.

(The dress)

(The dress)

"Omg Julie, you look hot. I'd date you if I didn't have a lovely girlfriend" Taylor says. I chuckle and look at myself in the mirror.

"You must wear these shoes" Flynn comments, picking up a pair of white heels. I smile a little, remembering the last time I wore those heels.

Flashback
"Oh my god, my feet are killing me" I whine, not wanting to leave the comfort of my room.

"Oh Cmon, you are avoiding my question. How was the date?" Alex whines, throwing himself beside me.

"It was actually really fun. He was... nice" I say, sounding surprised. I guess I am surprised.

"Now why are your feet 'killing you'"? Alex ask, using air quotes when he says killing you. If only he knew how bad it hurts.

"These girls right here" I say, getting up from the bed and picking up the white heels.

"Oh my goodness, who thought those were a good idea??"

"Gladys" I giggle.

"You good, you spaced out for a moment?" Flynn ask, still holding the heels.

" yeah I'm good, those are perfect" I smile, grabbing them from Flynn. I strap them on and now I'm ready.

"Are we ready to go?" Taylor ask.

"Let's party!" I cheer.

At the party
"Daaaaamn girl" someone calls as we walk in.
I will say that I look pretty good, my hair is wavy and my makeup is perfect. This is gonna be an epic night.

"I'm gonna do shots, you can find yourself around right?" Flynn ask. I nod

"I have Taylor too"

"I don't think so" Flynn says pointing to where Taylor has already found her girl.

"So much for that" I mumble as Flynn scampers off. I hear a familiar giggle, one that makes my stomach twist in anger and jealously. i turn the corner and sure enough, there's Bailee dancing like her life depends on it. I would love to say I hate her but I can because she just looks so happy. So alive.

"Look who showed up" Nick says behind me. I jump a little at the volume of his voice. Though I can barely hear anything but the pulsing music.

"Nick! Thank god" I say, hugging him.

"Wanna get a drink?" He ask.  I look back over at Bailee who is now with none other than Luke.

"Julie" Nick says, bringing my attention back to him. I nod and he rest his hand on my back, guiding me towards the kitchen.

We grab drinks and dance around a little bit. After hours of dancing, everything is starting to be too much. My head feels swimy, not drunk but buzzed. But it's too hot, too crowded, too loud. I grab Nick's arm and pull him outside.

We walk outside and sit on the edge of porch. Nick sits and swings his leg over the railing.
"Julie, I'm so happy you don't hate me" Nick says, slurring as he speaks.

"Me too Nick. I'm happy you are here with me" I say, moving closer to him. He looks over at me and his eyes flick down to my lips. I feel something moving in my stomach but isn't the same feeling as it should. It isn't what I know love is.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight?" he whispers. His face coming closer to mine. I can hear the noise from behind me but it's all muffled.

"no" I whisper, my voice coming out extremely flirty.

"Well you look beautiful" he whispers. I listen to my chest rising and try not to focus on what's happening.

"Julie, can I kiss you?" He ask, only centimeters away from my lips. I take a deep breath and give a slight nod. He leans in and my brain starts yelling at me.

JULIE NO
YOU STILL LOVE LUKE
YOU CANT DO THIS

"oh I-sorry" I hear Luke say, making me jump away from Nick.

I look over at Luke and he looks.. hurt. I feel my face get hot.

"I was just getting a little overwhelmed in there. I didn't mean to in-"

"You didn't. We were just talking!" I exclaim. Nick scoffs and walks off. Then there's just me and Luke, all alone.

"I should- one second" I say getting up and following after Nick. He's sitting on the stairs, his head in his hands.

"Nick" I say quietly. I sit in front of him and he stares at the ground.

"I'm sorry about that. But we're friends. I don't wanna mess that up."

"Yeah, plus you still love Luke"

"I-no"

"Julie. We both know you never stopped loving him. I heard he broke up with Bailee. Why not take a chance" he says.

"Thanks Nick. I hope you find someone"

"I have someone in mind actually. I'm happy you didn't kiss me, I would have regretted"

"Oh my gosh, who!"

"Talk to Luke and then you'll get to know. You know you have to. There's your chance" he says, pointing out where Luke is leaving.

I gotta take my chance.

A/n: