VI

Nausheen pushed the key in the keyhole and twisted it to click the door lock open. Entering the apartment, she placed the key on the keybowl that was on top of the wooden shoe rack just beside the door. Then she took off her sneakers, placed them inside the shoe rack and took out her pair of slippers and wore them.

The place was empty, just like she'd assumed. Moiz must still be at work. She hurriedly went to the kitchen and kept the groceries that she had gotten with her for making his favorite dish, butter chicken. After washing her hands, she got to cooking.

Time flows so fast when you're having a good time. She couldn't believe that it had been three years of her dating Moiz; two years of completing their degrees and starting work. After graduating, both Nausheen and Moiz had managed to get jobs in Bangalore. She and Radhika moved into a two bedroom flat, while Moiz rented a studio apartment not very far from her place. About Sanket, he moved to the USA after Masters. His uncle had a business there, and he joined that. Nausheen and Radhika still talked to him once in a while, but they were not as close as before.

Nausheen and Moiz had still not told their families about each other, except for his bhabhi, Avira. They both mutually agreed to involve parents when they're ready for marriage.

Right now, Nausheen had left early from her office and came to Moiz's place. They had a major fight yesterday because he'd been busy with his work lately and she thought he was not giving her enough time and shouted at him. After calming down, she had introspected and concluded that she had behaved irrationally as he was working on a very important project and its result would decide his promotion. So she was here, cooking his favorite meal as an apology.

But it didn't go exactly as she had planned because Moiz came back earlier than she had expected and the chicken was not cooked through.

When he entered his home, he was surprised by the delicious smell and then his eyes fell on Nausheen's set of keys.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, startling her.

"God," She shrieked, "How come you're early?" He had been reaching home really late for the past few days.

"I came early for you. You were angry so I thought I'd freshen up and then go to pick you up." He spoke, making her awe. In his hand was a single red rose. Yes, even after three years, he still gave her a rose everyday.

"And I am here to say sorry for yesterday and make you butter chicken." She closed the distance between them and took the rose from him. "But it is not ready yet."

"That's okay," He hugged her. "I am sorry for giving you less time."

"No," Her voice came out muffled as her face was pressed against his musculine chest, "I am sorry. I should have been more understanding."

They stayed in each other's arms till a burning smell hit their noses.

"My chicken," She screamed and untangled herself from him to check on the food. He laughed at her childishness while she was sighing in relief as the damage wasn't much and it was still tasting good.

She asked him to change his clothes while starting with the rotis. Before leaving the kitchen, he stared at her for a few seconds. Making dinner for him in his kitchen, she was such a sight to behold. A sight that he knew he'd never get tired of.

After dinner, he went to drop her home. He stopped his car, which he had just bought a month ago, outside her building. She gave him one of her beautiful smiles and said good night, but he stopped her.

"I wanted to talk to you about something." He adjusted his spectacles.

She knew him well enough to know that he was nervous. "What?"

"I want to marry you." He had always been a man of few words.

She raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Where did that come from suddenly?"

"Not suddenly. I've been thinking about it for some time now, and yesterday, after that fight, I realized that I want to fight all my fights with you." He innocently said, and she cracked up.

He looked at her in disbelief. "You're probably the first girl who laughed at her boyfriend when he proposed."

"I can't help it." She was still laughing. "You're so cute."

He sighed loudly and looked away. She sobered up and held his chin to make him look at herself. He resisted, but she somehow managed to turn his head and kissed his lips. His hand maneuvered his way into her hair and he kissed her back. They broke off after a few seconds and she whispered on top of his lips. "Yes, I will marry you."

And they sealed the deal with another kiss.

The next step was talking to their parents. They didn't want to do it over the phone, so they waited two more months before both of them went to their respective homes to celebrate Eid.

Nausheen broke the news to them the day she reached home. Her father was a little skeptical but her mother trusted her choice. On the other hand, her brother just teased her saying who was the guy who decided to marry a clown as hers. In return, he got punched right in the nose.

Moiz, however, couldn't gather enough courage to tell his parents the first two days. On the third day, the day of Eid, Nausheen gave him an ultimatum that if he didn't do it today, she'd fly to Dehradun and do it herself. So, he cornered his sweetheart Avira Bhabhi and asked her to help him. She took matters in her own hand, and after a hefty lunch, she told everyone while serving dessert. His parents' reaction was just like he'd expected. They were happy for their son and wanted to meet the girl's family as soon as possible.

Since the couple also didn't want to wait long, Moiz booked his and his parents tickets for Bhopal for the next day. The Hashmi's hosted the Syed's with all their hearts. Nausheen's fathers doubts got cleared after meeting the guy and his family and he agreed for the alliance. They did a small engagement that day, and the nikah date was finalized after two weeks.

They both extended their office leaves. Moiz went back to Dehradun with his parents and started with the wedding arrangements. Then twelve days later, Moiz brought his baarat to Bhopal, had all the pre-wedding functions and the nikah there. Two days later, he returned back to Dehradun again, this time with his wife, Nausheen Moiz Syed.

🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸

I didn't want to extend the story unnecessarily. It is short and sweet, just how I wanted it.

Epilogue coming up tomorrow.