Chapter 10| Caving In

Chapter ten: Caving In

O L I V I A

I walked to the beach where they had decided to hold lunch, mentally tired. I hadn't been able to sleep so I had just drawn the curtains, ordered light breakfast, some popcorn, and watched a movie. My headache hadn't ceased but it had subsided to a dull throb. My luck, I had also gotten on my period. That would explain why I was losing my shit in what felt like every two minutes.

"Hey." Carter approached me.

"Hi." I smiled tiredly.

"Hungry?" He asked.

"Not really," I replied, taking a seat at the table.

He sighed, seating himself next to me. "Well, I am."

"How hungover were you this morning?" I inquired in amusement. He looked miserable.

"You wouldn't believe." He shuddered. "My head is still hurting like a motherfucker."

"Poor baby," I cooed sarcastically, mussing up his hair. He gave me a small scowl, pulling his chair closer to mine and resting his head on my shoulder. I jerked him away with a glare.

"Carter," I warned.

"Love, c'mon," he whined.

"I'm hungover, too," I told him. "I won't be responsible for the wine that I see going down your shirt if you push me."

"Please," he beseeched. "I'm fucking tired, baby."

I glared harder. "I'm not your baby."

He smirked. "You were once."

"Keyword: once," I emphasized.

"Well, what can happen once can happen twice," he simpered.

"You remember how I made headlines for dumping trash on someone? Yeah, I can do it again."

"You wouldn't," he scoffed.

"That wine is within reach, Cart," I smiled sweetly. "I've heard it's almost impossible to get those red stains off your clothes. And will you look at that? You're wearing white! How convenient."

He grimaced. "I hate you."

"The feeling is mutual," I assured him, losing the smile. "Now shut your trap."

"Now that must be a long time coming," Griffin commented with a laugh, seating himself next to me. "But why exactly would you ask him to shut his trap?"

"Nothing special," I said, eyeing Carter and his drooping head.

"She won't be my pillow," Carter mumbled, resting his forehead on the table.

Idiot.

"Won't she?" Griffin raised an eyebrow.

"It's unfair, right? We dated for ten months!" Carter complained. I stifled a laugh.

"Seven," I corrected.

"I still can't believe you dated that douchebag," Griffin muttered. "He's so not your type. Or anyone's, for that matter."

"Leave it be. He's hungover," I whispered back. "And I know he's not boyfriend material, but he's a good friend."

Griff rolled his eyes. "That's the only reason he doesn't have a black eye right now."

"It doesn't look like it, but this table is hard!" Carter whined.

I chuckled. I caught some movement from the corner of my eyes and I paused.