Chapter 16| One Thing Led To Another

Chapter sixteen: One thing led to another

O L I V I A

When I came around, my neck was slightly stiff. A hand was still stroking my hair and it felt so amazing that I didn't want to wake up. A low hum of a vehicle prompted me to open my eyes. I did so slowly, taking in the surroundings. In my line of sight was the gap between the two seats that were in front of us.

Right. Flight.

I blinked as more memories came crashing back to me.

Cramps. Ibuprofen. Kaison.

Ohhhh, fuck.

I turned my head slowly upwards, only to meet a pair of piercing light brown eyes. My breath hitched as they assessed me.

"Hey," I whispered.

"Are they gone?" Was the first thing he asked.

"Yeah," I replied softly, moving to sit up. I avoided those bottomless eyes. I kept the blankets close to me to conserve the warmth. I hated the airplane cold. I looked around to see that a lot of them were either sleeping or staring vacantly at the screens in front of them. My window was open and it was dark. "How long was I sleeping?"

"About two and a half hours," he answered, stretching his legs. I looked at him guiltily. He looked visibly stiff.

"Sorry," I apologized.

He scowled at me. "Shut up."

"What are you even doing here?" I asked him.

He gave me a sheepish smile. "I . . . exchanged seats with Ross."

"Who?" I frowned in confusion, still a little dazed from sleeping.

"Ross," he repeated, clearing his throat. "The guy who was sitting here before me."

"I-" I smiled, shaking my head. "Thank you."

"It was nothing." He shrugged.

You exchanged a seat that reclines back for a seat that barely offers any legroom for those long legs of yours. Yeah, no biggie.

"Sure." I laughed lowly. "Whatever you say."

"You hungry?" He questioned.

"A little," I said after a thought. I had mostly just had fluids and semi-fluids. I was famished.

"Me too," he agreed. "There's still time for dinner, though."

"We can have snacks," I suggested.

"Cookies?"

"No," I groaned. "I've had enough sweets to last me for a while."

"Understandable." He chuckled. "You devoured all those poor chocolates and ice creams like there was no tomorrow."

"I felt like it," I said. "I always listen to my tummy when I'm on my period."

"I know. Omelet?"

"Nah, I had that for breakfast." I sat with my back against the wall, my feet folded close to me on the forsaken seat.

"Pancakes?" He asked, coming closer and pulling my feet onto his lap.

I sighed to hide a smile. "Nope, they're sweet too."

"Chips?"

I brightened up at the idea. "Yeah."

"Alright." He chuckled at the contrast.

Ten minutes later we were stuffing our faces with salted potato chips. The same attendant who had come to us before came and looked visibly relieved to see me alive and smiling. We sat in companionable silence. We had gotten some cold Pepsi and had synced the same movies on our screens.