Chapter 24| Argue

Chapter twenty-four: Argue

O L I V I A

"How was it?" Jane asked as the three of us stepped out for our half-hour lunch break. It opened in the lounge where we would play foosball and other games when we didn't feel hungry. That day was not one of those days and we were instead making our way to the cafeteria past that.

"How was what?" I asked her.

Even though the fight had happened yesterday, there was still an evident tension between her and Brian. Usually, when the three of us would walk, Jane would be in the center, and Brian and I would walk on either side of her. Today, I was in the center. And I was not liking it one bit.

"You know, your 'thing'," she questioned.

"Again?" I groaned. She had all but hounded me for the details yesterday. "I already told you. It was nice, Jane."

"Duh." She deadpanned. "I want details. Yesterday, you showed up in the same clothes that you were wearing on Monday. I wanna know."

"Brian," I whined. "Save me."

"Nuh-uh," he tsked, not even looking up from his phone. "Sort it out yourself, ladies."

"Wise decision," Jane snapped at him. Brian ignored her and she seemed to get even more agitated by that. "Olivia," she turned back to me, "Just tell me."

I scrunched up my nose. "You're so nosy."

"Tell me," she insisted. I sighed.

"See," I racked my brains for an excuse, "It was a nice hangout with my friends from the reunion, and then it was late when I reached home. I didn't have a fresh change of clothes and so I ended up ironing and wearing the same clothes as Monday."

I breathed. Yeah, that checked out.

"I don't believe you," she accused. "You would've told me this to get me off your back yesterday itself."

True.

I couldn't think of a reply so I merely shrugged.

"Where were you?" She asked suspiciously. My hands sweated. Ummm.

"Jane, isn't it your turn to order for the three of us today?" Brian jumped in.

She scowled at him. "No, it's no-"

"Actually, it is!" I shot Brian a thankful smile. "Go, Jane."

"Bu-"

"Go," we said in unison. Brian even went as far as making a shooing gesture with his hands. I curbed the urge to chuckle at that.

"Fine," she gritted out. "I'll be back soon. Go bag us a table."

With a laugh, we handed her our IDs and she strut away with a moue to get us our lunch. Brian and I found an empty table for four in the back and we settled ourselves there.

I sighed. "Finally, I got you alone."

"Uh-hun?" Brian said teasingly. "You naughty girl."

"Ewww." I scrunched up my nose in disgust. "Think before you speak. You're so not my type."

He brought a hand to his heart. "Ouch."

"Brian." I rolled my eyes. "Dude, focus."

"Hmm? What?"

"How did you ask Jane out?" I questioned.

"I don't remember," he spoke, evidently lying.

I groaned. "Brrriiaaaannnn."