Chapter 18| Souvenirs

Chapter Eighteen: Souvenirs

O L I V I A

We ended up cuddling for a long while before finally eating and getting on with our day. Kai seemed to be in no hurry to go home and I wasn't complaining. I caught up with my office work and replied to emails. My colleagues knew I was home and they were flooding my phones for deets about my 'dream reunion'.

They had heard that Kaison Jennings had crashed it, just like I had suspected. 

Brian was a hardcore fan and Jane was a fangirl. She absolutely loved the 'fine, hot, football guy'. She didn't know my history with him and Brian didn't either. I hadn't seen any reason to change that. The less they knew, the better.

A knock sounded on the door, reminding me that I had company. I paused my work, lifting my head up to see Kai standing in the doorway with a crooked smile. My concentration shattered.

"Yeah?" 

"Aren't you hungry?" He asked. "It's lunchtime."

I glanced at the clock, surprised to find that he was right. As if on cue, my stomach rumbled lowly.

"I am, actually," I muttered, placing my hand on my stomach and meeting his eye again. My mind wandered back to the program I was working on, and I groaned inwardly. "I'll be out soon."

He donned a knowing look.

"Livvy," he reproached. "You barely had any breakfast."

"I know," I fretted. "Five minutes."

Maybe ten.

"No," he shook his head, "Do it when we get back."

His words sunk in. "We're going out?"

"On a date." He nodded.

I raised a questioning eyebrow. "What happened to taking things slow?"

"We're going on a date, not getting married," he stated. "It doesn't get any slower than this."

Point.

"Where will we even go?" I asked. "We had a close call last night. They know you're in the city."

"So?" He shrugged uncaringly. "It's a big city."

"And you're a known and easily recognizable man," I said pointedly.

"I'll wear a disguise," he reasoned.

"Like yesterday?" I challenged. "Where did that lead us, hun? And that was the middle of the night, too."

"Livvy," he whined.

"No." I shook my head decisively. "You're injured so running away impulsively is out of the question, too. We are not risking it."

He groaned. "Why do you have to be so sensible?"

"Why do you have to be so reckless?" I countered with a smile.

"It's our first date in six years. Is it too much to ask for?"

I stood firm by my word. "Considering our situation, yes."

He sulked.

"We can order pizza and eat it on the rooftop," I offered, feeling bad. I just didn't want drama in my life. I had nothing against going out on a date. "We have a great view."

He shrugged, evidently discouraged. "Okay."

"Kai," I closed the lid of my laptop, "I'm sorry."

He sighed. "I know, it's not your fault."