Chapter 39| What Goes Up Must Come Down

Chapter thirty-nine: What goes up must come down

O L I V I A

"Hey, coach," Kai greeted apathetically when we arrived at the table. Milo grinned at him and Grace beamed in welcome.

"Jennings," Mr. Brown returned just as impassively. "How's the arm?"

"Well," Kai answered. "I saw Dr. Pearson today and she said I could be back to the field by the end of this month."

I looked up at Kai in surprise. That was news to me.

"Great." Coach nodded. "I'm guessing that's the lady you've been missing our practices for?"

Again. News. Kai's ears tinged pink.

"Thanks a lot, man," he mumbled. Grace giggled and Milo laughed.

"Hi, I'm Olivia," I introduced myself since Kaison didn't seem to be doing so. "Olivia Davis."

"Nice to meet you, Olivia." He shook my hand firmly. "Baxter Brown."

I mustered a smile. "Nice to meet you, too."

"I'll go check on my wife." He released my hand, standing up. "You guys have fun."

"Bye," Milo and Kai muttered lowly. That remained unanswered as Baxter disappeared into the crowd.

Kai nudged me to sit and I did, feeling the strain of wearing heels. He sat down beside me.

"Introduce us!" Grace demanded, eating ice cream.

"Livvy, you've already met Milo," Kai began. Milo grinned at me and I grinned back, finding it infectious. "Meet his girlfriend Grace. Grace, meet my girlfriend Liv."

"Hiii," she sang, placing the spoon down.

I chuckled at her perkiness. "Hey."

"I've been wanting to meet you for a while." She laughed. "Especially since I heard Kaison of all people had been missing practices."

I looked at him accusingly. "Yeah, I didn't know that."

"Don't give him a hard time," Milo said. "He couldn't have done much since he was on rest, anyways. It's good that he got to spend time with you and recover peacefully instead."

"I agree." Grace nodded. "It's nice to see his workaholic habits break. Their practice is always sp brutal anyways. They train like robots, not humans."

"Not true," Kai said to Grace teasingly. It didn't feel natural. What had Karl said that had burdened him so much? "You only feel that way because you're as fit as a potato."

Grace huffed.

"I saw you bump into Martinez," Milo changed the topic. "What did he say?"

"The usual trash," Kai spat, ditching his fake smile. "I wish Coach would just kick him off the team."

"He's the only QB we've got till you get back on the field," Milo reasoned. "He's an asshole and doesn't hold a candle to you, but at least he ensures we get to play."

"Find a new player," Kaison hissed impatiently. I put my hand on his thigh comfortingly.

Milo sighed. "You know we can't do that right now."

"Right," Kai dragged. "I'll go get that drink. I'll be right back, mon amour."

He kissed my temple and extracted his hand from mine, quickly disappearing into the crowd. The hand I had on his thigh fell on the seat where he previously was. All I could do was watch.