One

If looks could kill the glass would of shattered to a million little pieces. His appearance remained unchanged, the only constant change being his eyes. He's watched them go from green to red, from red to bronze and back to red again. Now they shined a gentle bronze color, unnatural like the rest of him.

Nathaniel John Masen Cullen was normal once. He was once a human but that has been long forgotten by him but not Edward. Though his memories were limited he remembered his brother before the transition, before the influenza took their family. He was a sweet boy and he was human and so was Edward. Being born only 5 minutes apart Edward took the mantle of the older brother and as a vampire those feeling heightened especially when Nathaniel got himself into trouble which didn't take much. Edward always got his brother out of things he didn't know how to get out of and was always there in his darkest moments. What pulled Edward from his own rebellion as a vampire was Nathaniel. Watching him unravel the way he did set Edward on a mission, a mission for his brothers redemption. He knew there was good in Nathaniel and he knew he loathed himself more than Edward did of himself.

When he found him all those years ago he found only a shell of his brother and it took hard work to get him to where he was now. Edward was proud of Nathaniel even if he didn't say it out loud.

Edward found Nathaniel and Jasper on the balcony talking about hunting before school to curve the cravings. Having gone the night before with Alice, Nathaniel opted to go alone which he never had an issue with. Being alone was the only time he felt like he didn't have to put a façade on.

After Nathaniel left Alice came marching up to Edward with a concerning look on her face. He looked at her curiously before reading her thoughts. His knuckles clenched tightly into fists. Edward analyzed Alice's vision and played it in his mind as it came off from her. His expression hardened. This wasn't good.

"Edward what is it?" Esme came into the room with a worried expression, Carlisle followed soon after.

"I don't know who she is, it's someone I haven't met before" Edward says. "She's involved with Nathan somehow, I think."

"Could it be his mate?" Esme asks, hope in her voice. Edward shrugs at the idea, a deeper feeling setting in.

"I've only seen glimpses." Alice looked from Edward to Carlisle and Esme, Jasper came up to her side naturally. "But from what I've seen Nathaniel seems attached to her..." Her voice trailed off as another vision occurred causing the panic and nerves rise in Edward though he couldn't physically express it. The feeling faded as he looked at Jasper gratefully.

Blood stained Nathaniel's hands, his face as well. Edward watched his brother hunched over releasing a deep bellow, clutching his hair as he screamed in agony.

Red has always been Nathaniel's color.

Edward watched as yet another vision flooded Alice's head. It was the girl again standing with Nathaniel with their hands intertwined with the others. It was in that moment Edward saw a side of his brother he has not seen in a long time. But after seeing the blood it put him on edge, it put them all on edge.

This girl, this stranger needed to stay away from his brother.

-

Nathaniel tore his mouth away from the doe, the skin stretched and snapped off. Blood pooled and dribbled down his chin which he brushed back with his thumb before sucking it off. He looked down at the dead carcass with a chunk missing from its jugular. The sound of twigs snapping brought Nathaniel back to the hunt, with eyes bright as shimmering gold he darted towards the direction of the noise, quickly finding himself a buck. The buck ran once he stood only a few feet away, but it was futile. Smirking he lunged at the buck which let out a startled noise. Nathaniel sunk his fangs into the buck as it cried and thrashed but his arms which were wrapped around it tightened around the buck like a cobra it's prey. He let out a muffled moan as he drank the dark crimson liquid.

Ripping away again he cursed himself for ruining his shirt though it wouldn't be the first time. Nathaniel had the tendency to be rash and brutal in his kills, he couldn't help it though, he was a natural predator, very deadly. Though the animal blood was weaker than human blood it still satisfied Nathaniel enough to return home but not before removing his ruined shirt.

When he returned to the Cullen residence he threw his shirt in the small fire pit they had out on the balcony. Pouring some gasoline on it he struck a match he had in his pocket. Watching the shirt burn for a few moments he turned to go inside.

"How was it?" Nathaniel rolled his eyes as he brushed passed Edward without answering, wanting nothing but to return to his room before evidently going to school.

-

Nathaniel stood with his siblings in the parking lot at the end of the day leaning against his silver Lexus, his hands buried in his leather jacket. He looked around idly and listened to the chatter of everyone around him, picking up bits and pieces of the conversations that seemed to go around.

Rumor has it that police chief Charlie Swan has a daughter starting here soon. The talk of a possible new student made him want to groan. The last thing he felt this place needed was more people. Yes it was a small town but it was just that, small. Why anyone would want to move here was beyond him, he felt Forks was a place to grow old and die, not try to start a life in. Over the years he was in and out of the Cullens lives, sometimes visiting Forks he saw how many people stayed here once they've moved or were even born there. It was a sad existence he thought.

He loved the thrill of life and what it had to offer him especially being an eternal teenager who was just shy of becoming an adult, though in his times 17 would still be considered so but in modern days it was not the case.

The Cullens knew all about Isabella Swan putting them all on edge. Rosalie and Emmett were aware of the situation from being present in the house at the time. Nathaniel on the other hand did not know. Edward knew he would need to tell him before anything can happen. And he was adamant on making sure this Isabella Swan was not going to ruin what his brother fought hard for.

~
EDITED

Please leave a comment your input really helps when writing!

Vote/comment

robbstark_