2. Yet Another Day

Clementine opened her eyes. Much to her disappointment, she was in her room. Slowly she sat up and surveyed her surroundings, but all she saw was the same old bedroom she saw every morning since Christa and Omid had found this isolated cabin in the woods for them to stay in. She wasn't really expecting anything else, yet she did a quick inventory of the room's contents anyway.

There were a couple of books on the dresser that Clem had finished reading months ago. Next to them was an old instant camera that Omid had found her before moving out here. It only had a couple of shots left, but she couldn't think of anything she wanted to photograph. Past that was an old pad of paper nearly full of half finished leaf rubbings and sloppy doodles Clem had made to pass the time. As she ran out of paper she had lost interest in it and as such the last few pages were simply blank. Other than a change of clothes in the dresser and her backpack in the corner, the room was bare.

Seeing nothing of interest, Clementine rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. She pulled her pillow over her eyes to block out the sunlight coming in through the windows, but even with her eyes closed it was futile. Knowing she wouldn't be able to get back to sleep, Clem took a deep breath and crawled out of bed.

She put her shoes on, then picked up her hair ties from the dresser. As she pulled her curly hair back into pigtails, Clem realized it was getting a little long and she should probably cut it, but figured there was no rush since she never went anywhere anymore. Her hair tied off, Clem placed her hat on her head and headed downstairs. As she crossed through the living room, she could hear Christa and Omid in the kitchen.

"What do you think?" asked Omid in his typical enthusiastic manner.

"Omid, you can't be serious," answered a bemused Christa.

"I am," he insisted.

"We are not doing that," she asserted.

"Why not?"

"Because; it's ridiculous." The couple's attention turned to Clementine as she silently sat down at the table.

"Look who's finally up," commented Omid.

"Sleep well?" Clem didn't respond to Christa's question. "Bad dream again?" Clementine just couldn't find the energy to answer Christa's concerns.

"I'm sorry Clem," said Omid as he set a plate in front of her. "Also, sorry we still don't have anything better on the menu." Clementine looked down at her breakfast. It was a couple of small pieces of dried fish leftover from yesterday, a mushroom foraged from the forest and a cup of water. The same thing she had been eating for weeks now.

As she chewed on the gristly piece of cold fish, she found it hard not to think about how much better the canned goods they used to have were. And taking a bite out of the mushroom just reminded her how they used to be able to find berries and nuts in the forest before the winter set in.

"I was thinking we could work a little more on your knot tying today," suggested Christa. "If you felt up to it." Since settling in the cabin, Clementine had found herself being tutored in a variety of odd things ranging from purifying water to identifying edible plants. Knots were just the latest topic in this series of ongoing lessons from Christa. Clementine didn't like these lessons, but there was so little for her to do she never felt the urge to object either.

"Okay." Clem shrugged then turned back to her plate, only to grimace at what she saw. "What were you talking about just now?" she asked, desperately looking for anything to take her mind off food.

"Oh, nothing, just that the egomaniac here wants to name our baby after himself," surmised Christa.

"Come on, what's wrong with Omid?" he asked in a mostly sincere tone.