82. Prospects

Clementine watched as Nick started spooning chicken soup into a bowl. She didn't know why, but she felt good. There was a kind of warmth in her stomach and for some reason her head felt light, but in a good way that made her feel relaxed.

Turning away from Nick, Clem found Sarah in front of her. Looking at her shirt, she noticed that most of the bottom of it was missing, which allowed Clem to see Sarah's stomach, which she found oddly fascinating.

"Clem," asked Sarah. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," assured Clem in a calm voice.

"Do you need anything?"

"No."

"I was just wondering because you were staring at me."

"Your belly button is really cute," giggled Clementine.

"Um... thanks?" answered a confused Sarah.

"Okay Clem, you definitely need something to eat." Christa handed Clem a bowl of soup.

"Actually, I feel really good right now," assured the girl.

"I'm sure you do, you sound drunk," noted a concerned Christa. "So eat some soup to even yourself out."

"Okay," shrugged an agreeable Clem as she reached for a spoon.

"Didn't I tell you?" smirked Nick. "In a minute you'd know why you drank it?"

"Oh yeah, you did," noted an amused Clem. "If I drank more, would I feel even better?"

"You drink any more and you'd probably feel sick," insisted Christa. "So please, just eat."

"All right, I was just was wondering." Clementine slurped a spoonful of soup. Feeling the warm broth move down her sore throat was very soothing. No sooner had she finished her first spoonful than had Clem swallowed another.

"I really don't feel much," spoke Sarah as she took her bowl of soup.

"Maybe you should have a little more," suggested Nick as he handed Christa a bowl.

"No," dictated Christa.

"Why not?" asked Clementine. "Sarah should get to feel good too."

"Not everything that stuff does is gonna make you feel good, and it certainly doesn't make you act any smarter," explained Christa. "And we've got to get moving once we're done eating."

"Okay, but what about if we get somewhere safer? Could we have more then?" Clem asked in an eager voice.

"You see what you started?" Christa asked Nick. "You've turned the girl into an alcoholic."

"She'll be fine, Pete used to give me a shot of whiskey on some of my birthdays and I turned out okay." Christa glared at Nick, clearly not finding any comfort from that tidbit. "Relax, I'll keep it put up."

"So, what do we do once we find the truck?" asked Sarah before gently blowing on the hot soup.

"Well, we got to go up a road that turns into the one-nineteen, which leads back to South Carolina. Pete figured we could use that to get some distance from Shaffer's," explained Nick as he poured what was left of the soup into a bowl.

"So, we're going to South Carolina?" asked Clem. "What's there?"

"Well, nothing in Hardeeville anymore," noted Nick with a hint of sadness. "But the rest of the state, I don't know." Nick grabbed a spoon and eagerly dipped into his soup.

"Really at this point, just picking a direction is as good a guess as any," suggested Christa as she adjusted her grip on Omid Jr. "Really don't think going back to nature again would work out, at least not right now. Maybe if we found somewhere we could catch our breath, we could gradually wean ourselves off scavenging, sorta like Walter and Matthew said they were doing," she said before slurping some warm chicken broth.