36. Quitting Time

"So, you spent all afternoon shoveling chicken shit?" asked Mick.

"No, not all afternoon," answered Sarah. "We finished that pretty quickly."

"They use their poop for fertilizer," added Clementine. "We had to throw it in these big compost bins."

"Ugh, that smell," said Sarah.

"Then we fed them, gave them water, checked all the roach traps and fly paper around Shaffer's for any dead bugs, and then helped make feed for tomorrow," listed Clem.

"That was the hard part," said Sarah. "Gertrude is trying all these different combinations, so we had to keep sorting all these ingredients for her to mix into buckets. We had to ground up old dog food and shred all these leaves."

"What about the eggs?" asked Matt.

"We got them while Gertrude was getting the feed," said Sarah.

"She left you two alone?" asked Mick.

"Yeah, why?" asked Clem.

"It's just, we never get that kind of trust," said Mick.

"It's because they're girls," scoffed Matt.

"What does us being girls have to do with anything?" asked an annoyed Clem.

"Everyone's always nicer to girls than boys," asserted Matt. "You chicks get everything easier."

"Nicer? Look at our faces," demanded Clem. "Does it look like they've been nice to us?"

"Everyone away from the door!" Clementine looked over to see Maude frisking Adam before ushering him into the pen and locking the door.

"Look at his face," suggested Matt as Adam moved towards the nearest bed. "That's how nice people are to boys." Adam crawled under one of the beds and disappeared from sight. "Nobody feels sorry for him."

"I do," said Sarah.

"I do too," added Clem in a more defiant tone.

"Good for you. None of the adults here do," said Matt. "That Cookie guy didn't care that we were in the pen when we met him. He sees you two and it's some big tragedy. It's because you're girls and everyone is supposed to feel sorry for you."

"Maybe that's because we're younger than you," suggested Clem.

"By what exactly? Mick's only a few years older than her. You thought I was a kid when you saw me. You really think he'd care if we were younger?"

"Well, how did Cookie act when he met Adam?" asked Sarah.

"How would I know? I don't care what the chef thinks of the weird kid," said Matt.

"I'm pretty sure he was weirded out when he saw him eat though," added Mick.

"You know, a lot of things are harder for girls," argued Clementine.

"Like what?" asked Matt.

"Well, there's that one thing that only happens to girls," stated a nervous Sarah.

"What thing?" Matt's question just seemed to embarrass Sarah.

"Is this that thing you're going to tell me about when I get older?" Sarah nodded to Clementine.

"The secret thing only girls know about that makes things harder. Yeah right," scoffed Matt.

"Matt, give it a rest," urged Mick.

"No way, they got it easier," insisted Matt. "People don't expect girls to do anything."

"Yes they do. People are always telling us what to do and not listening to us. They wouldn't do that if we were boys," rebutted Clem.