35. Stay for the People

Maude called an end to lunch in her typical authoritative manner. Christa and Walter were taken away by Tom and the bearded man while Maude told the others at the table to wait for their instructors for the afternoon.

"Okay, is there an Adam here?" asked Byron as he approached the table, Bridget following right behind him. "Because Gene said—Jesus!" Adam emerged from under the table directly in front of Byron, who put his hand on his holster. "He's Adam?"

"Apparently," shrugged Bridget.

"Ohh... kay... well, you're with me today." Adam didn't respond. "Did you hear me?"

"Yes..." answered Adam in a quiet voice.

"All right, come on." Adam followed Byron and Bridget.

"You two Matt and Mick?" asked a slender man in greasy gray coveralls.

"I guess we're with you?" The man nodded at Mick. "All right." The brothers followed the man away from the tables.

"My... my dad never came to lunch," realized Sarah.

"Neither did Nick," added Clem.

"They're... they're not feeding him," concluded an anxious Sarah.

"Well, maybe—"

"What if they are torturing him?" asked a terrified Sarah. "Or what if... what's if he's already dead?" Clem took hold of Sarah's hand as she started weeping.

"Sarah, please don't cry," said Clem as she rubbed Sarah's hand. "I'm sure he's okay."

"You don't know that," spoke a choked Sarah.

"Well, no. But—"

"What's the matter dear?" Clem and Sarah looked up to see an elderly woman in overalls standing over them. She was a brawny looking woman with long gray hair and distinct green eyes brimming with concern. "What's bothering you?" The woman sat down in front of Sarah and took hold of her other hand.

"My dad didn't come to lunch, and no one's seen him. I'm worried that he's not eating, or worse."

"You're Carlos's daughter, right?" asked the woman.

"You know me?" asked Sarah.

"I'm Bridget's mother, Gertrude," introduced the woman. "Your father had a lot to say to me after Thanksgiving, which in turn led to me having a lot to say to my daughter. I suppose this doesn't mean much now, but I am sorry for what Bridget said that evening."

"You haven't seen my dad today, have you?" asked Sarah.

"No, I'm afraid not. But just because he didn't come to lunch doesn't mean he's not eating," assured Gertrude. "Edmund takes meals to people who can't stop what they're doing at noon."

"He used to bring me my meals when my dad couldn't," realized Sarah. "But, where's my dad?"

"I'm sure he'll be okay dear. I mean, they didn't bring him home just to hurt him. And he's our only doctor. So he's important here. They're..." Gertrude took a deep breath. "They're probably just making him do extra work, to get caught up since the crew was gone for so long."

"Are you sure?" asked Clementine, fairly certain Gertrude wasn't.

"Yeah, I'm sure that's all it is." Gertrude looked more closely at Clem. "You're Clementine right? Gene was telling me about you. I thought you'd be more Sarah's age."

"I'm nine and a half."

"And they're keeping you in the pen?" Clem nodded. "Well, hopefully that'll only be temporary." Clem could tell Gertrude was staring at her nose. "Did one of those boys do that to you?"