63. The Die Is Cast

"It's time." Clementine blinked her eyes a couple of times and looked up to see Carlos standing over her. Clem sat up, and found a terrible itching in her throat. She covered her face and started coughing. Clem found herself wishing they hadn't gotten dinner early since it meant she wouldn't get any more water today. "Let's go."

"You sure?" asked Christa as she stood up.

"Positive," answered Carlos in a hushed voice. "Tom left about an hour ago when they called for him to return his gun. They'll have completed the lockdown by now. And you can hear the herd just outside." Listening closely, Clem heard a distant rustling. It sounded like hundreds of pieces of wet meat sliding across the asphalt.

"God, that sounds like a lot of them," commented a nervous Nick.

"Listening in on Tom's radio before he left, it sounds like they're moving on the highway just down the road," explained Carlos.

"Carlos said if you smell like a lurker, then they won't attack?" Nick asked Clem.

"It makes sense," said Carlos. "We know they can smell fresh blood and living things. Logic would suggest they can smell each other as well, and would know not to attack."

"But you got to be quiet," said Clem. "They can still hear you if you're not."

"We get out, we find a straggler, kill it, use it to disguise our scent, then we all head north until we get to Saint Christopher's," surmised Carlos.

"Let's just get this over with," suggested Christa. "I just want to get out of this cell already."

"You and me both." Everyone turned to Matt, who was sitting on the bed furthest from the group, his arms crossed. "If you people are leaving I'm coming with you."

"Yeah right," scoffed Nick. "We should just tie him to the bed and gag him." Matt jumped off the bed and edged towards the loading door that led into the warehouse.

"Take me with you, or I'll pound on that door while screaming at the top of my lungs," threatened Matt.

"Fine, you can leave with us," conceded Carlos. "But once we're outside, you're on your own."

"Fine by me, I'm as sick of you assholes as I am this fucking place," retorted Matt. "So, how do we get out? Because Mick and I tried opening the gate from this side a bunch of times. It ain't happening."

"We open it from the other side," answered Carlos as the group approached the bathroom.

"Say what?" Matt watched as Nick and Carlos pulled on the fencing, widening the gap enough to allow Christa to help Clementine climb through the opening. "Are you kidding me? Why didn't I ever think of that?" Clementine tumbled down onto the pavement. She stood up and looked around.

It was overcast again, and looked to be about early evening. It was also eerily quiet. Clementine looked around to make sure there was no one left in the area. She didn't see anybody at first, but looking at the side of the building Clem thought she spotted someone ducking around the corner. Approaching the edge, Clem turned her hat around backwards so the brim wouldn't poke out past her face, then peeked around the corner. Clem found a familiar pair of brown eyes staring directly at her.

"Sarah," whispered a relieved Clementine.

"Clementine," she whispered back. Sarah came out from around the corner and exchanged smiles with Clem. "I changed my radio's channel to the one the crew uses. When I heard them say they were locking the warehouse, I came out here to wait for you," explained Sarah. "But I made sure to turn off the radio first, so it wouldn't make any noise."