80. Bygones

Nick turned on a flashlight and headed up the stairs, Clementine following close behind him. The pair moved across the sanctuary, arriving at the improv fire pit. Nick set the backpacks down and Clem set the one she was holding next to them.

"Just give me a minute," said Nick as he removed the backpack he was wearing. "We were in kind of a rush to get back, so, we still don't know exactly everything we got."

"I've got some things that might help," said Clem as she took off her own backpack.

"I noticed that," commented a weary Nick as he started emptying the first pack. "You get that stuff at Emmet's?"

"Um, yeah. How did you know?"

"I figured," shrugged Nick. "Pete told me it was right on the highway and there was a lot of excessive hardware that Shaffer's didn't need we could pick up on the way out of town." Nick sighed. "I... I should have told you all that before we left."

"Well, me and Sarah found it," said Clem as Nick began to empty one of the bags. "How come you didn't get anything though?"

"Christa was in labor, and the pain was causing her to make a lot of noise, so we had to get off the highway. Pete told me that McCall Road also led right to Saint Christopher's. It was about the same distance, but mostly through the woods, so there weren't many lurkers." Nick paused. "I should've told you all about it as well."

"It's okay Nick," assured Clem. "You're doing your best."

"If Pete was here, I'm sure he'd be giving me some shit about how my best wasn't enough," grumbled Nick as he unpacked another bag. "But... we'd all be better off right now, because he'd know what to do."

"I think you're doing a good job."

Nick examined a couple of cans. "What do you want? We got pineapples, corn, and sweet peas."

"Um, I think I'd like to try the sweet peas."

Nick removed a can opener from the bag. "Pete always planned ahead." Nick sighed as he opened the can. "Bon Appétit." Nick placed a spoon in the can and handed it to Clem.

"I thought you were going to cook something," reminded Clem.

"I saw some soup and a pot in here. I'll start a fire and warm it up," explained Nick as he dug through a third bag. "Just consider that an appetizer or something." Clementine scooped a spoonful of sweet peas into her mouth. She found they did taste slightly sweet, if a little mushy as well. Mostly she was just happy to have something to eat again, savoring her first morsel since leaving Shaffer's. As Clem chewed her food she found her loose tooth was bothering her, but only slightly.

"If you need something to start a fire, I—" Clementine watched as Nick removed a lighter from one of the bags. "Oh."

"Like I said, Pete planned ahead." Nick pocketed the lighter. "Still, mind if I borrow your tomahawk?"

"My what?"

"Your axe."

"Oh." Clem picked it up off the ground. "Is that what it's called?"

"Yeah." Nick took the tomahawk. "Easier to chop some wood with it than with a crowbar." Nick moved to nearest still standing pew and started hacking away at it. As he did, Clementine unpacked the backpack she had carried. She found more canned goods and bottled water, which she set out.

Clem also found a roll of fishing line, which she set aside, and a small plastic box full of sewing needles, which she felt uneasy just looking at. Then a spoon, a cup, a toothbrush, and at the bottom of the bag was a small rectangular mirror with a hole cut in the middle.