21

[Third Person...]

It was a lie.
You weren't meeting up with Max like Tony thought you would be when he dropped you off.

You were meeting Ivan.

You were walking down the long alleyway towards the back of the restaurants you, your brother, and all the little hood rat kids used to play when you didn't want your parents finding out where you were. You had to walk a few blocks from where Tony dropped you off to get there. You turned off the phone he gave you, just incase, when you walked towards the meeting spot.

"Ay, mira. Que chingona güey." Ivan said to Omar, a person from his crew. He never went anywhere without at least someone lurking about. It was a protection thing, you have always, for some reason, never felt like you needed stuff like that.

"New clothes, new zapatos... new school." He said his face dropping, yours did too. He circled around you as he spoke.

"You got a new house too, chingona? Danny says you haven't been home in a while." He said stopping in front of you with his arms crossed.

"I go home, just not for long." You cough awkwardly.

"Oh really? Got somewhere to be now, huh?"

"Ivan, you know it's not like that."

"It's not? Savés? Entoncés dimé. Tell me." He said getting a bit closer. Trying his best to intimidate you.

"Nothing to tell, jefe. I got roped into community service, the court issued me to go to a new school, as well as Cesar or they would take them away. The school is across town." You lied

"Oh? And what about Cecilia?" Now you knew all the questions, why he needed to meet with you. Omar being here. Danny was asking, Danny noticed. Danny was catching on.

"They ordered me to put her in a real daycare too, or they would put us all in foster care, ward of the states."

"And they just believed Rafa was innocent in all of this? No eres un pendeja, Nena. Dime la verdad."

"That is the truth, I don't know what else you wanna hear. They made a deal with me, negotiated to cut Rafael a break. What else do you want me to say?" You said angrily, stepping up towards him.

"Negotiated? What? You a little snitch now, y/n. Do I gotta put a fucking bullet in your head to shut the fuck up?!" He screamed trying to scare you, trying to break you, it's what they do to try to get the truth out of their members. Even if you refused to be one. He pulled his gun out of his pants and cocked it pressing it to your temple.

You had to yell back, show your passion for them. Or they wouldn't dare think twice as to not believing you.

"Who the fuck do you think I am, Ivan?! My brother does deals for you! You know secrets that the government doesn't even know, you really think I'd cross you like that, Jefé?" You screamed back.

Iván stepped back, putting his weapon back in the seam of his jeans. A smirk evident on his face; seemingly a proud smirk.

"Hard-fucking-core, nena. Seriously. When will you let me initiate you? Not even a flinch! Bro, you see that?" He stepped over to Omar who smiled, this was planned. Ivan's plan.

"I seen that."

"Not one flinch, bro. Nena. You really think, I'd tell Danny shit? You're my home girl. Fuck that dude. You got me, and I'll protect you, from everyone. Including his punk ass." He admitted to you, you smiled.

"Let me finish my community service, and I'll let you know, Ivan."

"Ay, I'm sorry. I had to make sure you were still kickin' with me." He also admitted shrugging his shoulders.

"So you were here for Danny?" You were confused.

"No, i came here on my own. But he has been on the looks for you. Start straightening up, he needs to get laid or something. Come on, I'll buy you a drink." He laughed putting his arm around you as he patted your shoulder pulling you towards your old playing grounds. The front of the restaurants, family owned businesses.

Small, dirty on the inside but filled with much heart. And memories. If it weren't for it being in such a bad area, and all the gangs hanging around. You would bring Max here, show her the photos on the wall that you were on. Tell her the stories you have of Doña Maria, how you and Rafa stole tacos from a table because you were hungry, and instead of chasing you out. She fed you, pozole. And from then on, she'd feed you for free whenever you came in.

Maybe you would, you smiled. Realizing now, you never felt the need for extra protection for yourself, you could most definitely protect her as well.

"Oralé! Do you think I can invite... uh..." you were hesitant to ask. You trusted Ivan, you wanted to be able to tell your stories to your girlfriend. Be normal for once, like Ivan does with his girl.

"You wanna invite la novia, huh?" He clicked his tongue before smiling big and looking away.

"Go ahead, I'll call Selena. Omar!" He yells towards him, who was a head of us. He whistled for more emphasis.

"Call your girl, cabron! We'll make it a party!" He said a bit too dramatically making you laugh.

"Then let's make it a party!" You yelled as well, you both whistled goofily like drunk Mexicans on a Friday night coming home from a child's birthday party.

You texted Max, and she texted back saying she would be there in a few.

You were excited and happy with the decision of introducing your wanting-to-be normal life with your actual normal life.

You didn't tell Max, she'd be meeting Ivan or even Omar. You wanted it to be a surprise, you sent her your location and waited for her to get there.

-

[Ay, Mira. Que chingona güey] - oh, look. What badass dude

[Zapatos] - shoes

[Savés? Entonces dime] - you know? Then tell me

[Jefe] - boss

[No eres un pendeja] - you aren't an idiot
[Dimé la verdad] - Tell me the truth

[La novia] - The girlfriend
[Cabron] - dumbass
[Oralé] - ay, dude
[Doña] - Mrs

[Chingona] - badass

— Have a nice Spanish lesson. ;)