learning the ropes

Having an enemy was not uncommon for someone who had no home to go to. Living in the outdoors meant only the best survived. Freezing winter nights, angry gang leaders and the threat of being caught were just some of the things that could lead to your untimely demise.

Being in a group does not mean you have less enemies, it just means you have more to protect yourself from. The others will protect you, but once you learn the ropes your no longer the first person they'll protect. You become one of the protectors. Everyone has a role to play. Some were the pickpockets, others were the beggars, usually the young ones, while the rest may be sellers, robbers, fighters. Whoever you were, whatever your quality, we all had a role to play. No job was easy, all of them required skill and precision, one wrong move and it could mean the end of you. One job we all had when we learnt our trade was to mentor the newbies. You taught them the ropes, helped them advised them, prepared them for what's out there.

Back at the beginning, I was one of the beggars, soon I grew out of the 'cute phase', as we like to call it, so i moved on to become a fighter and mentor to the newbies. One of my first newbies was a boy, not much older then 8 that had ran away from his new home. He never shared what happened.
This one was constantly looking for a fight, always on edge, people often mistook it for arrogance and confidence, but I knew better. Under that mask, there was a scared little boy, constantly fearing rejection. I tried my best to help him, prepare him for the dangers of living rough. Sometimes, though,  people are not ready to  learn, to listen and take ones advice, so they have to learn the hard way.

Sadly, he ended up in big trouble not long later. He didn't listen and he got hurt. He's still here, but never has he spoken again. Never has he disobeyed an order again.

One of the first things I learned as a mentor is that some people just don't listen and that's okay. In the end, they'll find out why they should have. Trust me, that won't be pretty.
Authors note
Hey! Thanks for reading this chapter! Sorry it's a bit late! If you've enjoyed this chapter don't forget to vote or comment. Hope you are well