Chapter 45

Humming softly to herself, Poppy skipped happily through the darkened forest, the young princess heading towards her and Squishy's secret meeting spot...

     Unfortunately... she had been a little caught up with her royal duties, so she was quite a bit late for her usual meet up with the wolf. She just hoped he was still there and didn't think she had forgotten about him... the last thing the kindhearted pink troll wanted was to make her friend think she didn't care about him...

     The sun was low in the sky by this point of day, but there was no way the young girl was turning back now... she was leaving the safety of the village behind... all so she could see the wolf she had named Squishy... she couldn't let him down...

Little did the defenseless pink troll know... something was tagging along on her journey... the large creature following close behind as she continued on, the princess having no knowledge that she was currently being stalked...

"Grrr..." the beast growled softly, it's footsteps light as it slunk slowly forwards, trying and succeeding to go completely unnoticed as it's bright glowing green eyes shone through the darkness surrounding it on all sides...

     Licking it's lips, the monster slowly emerged from the shadows, raising it's paw up into the air with pointed claws, ready to slice the unknowing child right in half with one quick swoosh...

     "Hey, Squishy!" Poppy exclaimed excitedly, pushing her way through a bush and entering the small cove where she would usually see her wolf friend... but surprisingly... he wasn't there... "Squishy?"

     "Grrr..." the creature right behind the young girl growled again, readying it's final blow... the beast excited to finally have a good meal for once...

     Young blood... it always tasted sweeter after all...

     Suddenly, a rustling sound caught both prey and victim's attentions, the two of them turning towards another bush to see a large blue eyed critter emerging into view... it's actual appearance not yet known to either of them...

     Slinking back into the shadows to go unseen, the creature who had been unknowingly following Poppy slid from view, growling softly in annoyance...

     'Think you can take my dinner, do you?' it muttered angrily to itself when seeing the other predator come to take it's meal... 'Well you've got another thing coming...'

     Readying itself to pounce at it's new and unknowing competitor... the beast shrunk down low to the ground in a hunting position, it's sharp jagged claws scratching slightly at the ground below it's feet...

     "Squishy!" Poppy laughed when seeing the black furred critter she called a friend. "There you are!"

     At the sight of what was now seen to be a wolf coming out of the bushes in front of it, the unknown creature retracted it's claws, seeming surprised by the sight...

     'It can't be...' it whispered in disbelief, slowly backing away with still narrowed eyes... 'It's impossible...'

     Branch's ears twitched slightly at the almost unnoticeable sound of movement coming from just behind his beloved, the wolf inside him instantly taking over as he went into full defensive mode, the Weretroll snarling as he kept his eyes locked on the pitch black shadows off in the distance...

     'Well... this is convenient...' the beast snickered, suddenly pleased with the presence of the wolf. 'I'll let the kid do the hunting for me... and then take him out myself once the job is done...'

     Taking a small cautious step forwards, Branch growled at the unknown threat, somehow knowing it was there without actually seeing it...

     But... before he could go all rage mode on whatever lurked just out of sight... the wolf suddenly subsided as Branch felt warm and gentle arms wrap around him...

     Slightly confused, the Weretroll looked down, suddenly in complete control of his actions once again as he saw Poppy was right there... the young princess hugging him tight...

     He couldn't help but smile at the heartwarming feeling, the young boy forgetting completely about his previous anger as he hugged his friend in return...

     'What!? Friends!' the beast gasped upon seeing this... this... disgusting display of affection between the two supposed to be enemies! "Grrr..."

     And with one last snarl... the monster took off deeper into the forest, angered by what it had just seen... it knew... it knew right then and there... that it was going to have to put a stop to this traitor... no matter what...