Chapter 74

The praise didn't stop the entire way home...

While Branch and Poppy walked with their arms wrapped over one another's shoulders, the snack pack trailed around them, talking Branch's ear off... and yet... strangely... he didn't seem to mind...

They could talk all they wanted... as long as he had Poppy right there beside him... he was happy...

Most of what the others were saying went in through one ear and came right out the other for Branch... he honestly wasn't paying much attention... but he did pick up a few things about how he rocked at the party... and how he should sing more often... and how none of them could wait to hang out the next day... maybe even play a game of squish ball? Whatever that was...

—————

Finally reaching the bunker's front entrance... the only entrance the paranoid survivalist allowed others to know about... Branch smiled to his new group of friends, making sure to give Poppy a light hug before finally letting go of her...

"Thanks, guys..." he said genuinely. "I... had fun tonight..."
"No problem, man," Dj said, playfully punching Branch's arm with a light chuckle. "And thanks for helping me find Jupiter. With that sick performance of yours, she seemed to have been drawn right to your voice!"

Branch frowned slightly at the statement that had just come from his friend's mouth, the survivalist suddenly putting a hand up to lightly feel his forehead...

"Hmm... I don't... feel sick..." he muttered softly in complete confusion, earning a unanimous laugh from the group.

Looking around for a short moment, Branch quickly began chuckling nervously along with them...

He honestly didn't get what was so funny... but he certainly wasn't about to let them know that... he liked having friends... and he wasn't about to ruin it... he would let them have their fun... even if he didn't quite understand it himself...

     Wiping a happy tear from his eye, Guy suddenly looked up at the sky, his smile slightly fading from his sparkly face...

     "Wow... it's getting late..." he announced to the group, everyone looking up as if to check if he was telling the truth...

     "Guy's right..." Smidge agreed. "We should all probably be getting inside... it's not safe being out in the forest at night..."
"Especially with that wolf on the loose..." Biggie added with a small shutter, Mr. Dinkles already sleeping peacefully in his arms.

     "Awww..." Branch whined sarcastically, trying his best to pretend as if he were actually upset that he would finally get some much needed alone time after such a busy day of over socializing...

     Yes... he was happy he finally had friends... but he still needed some time for himself after all... a nice warm bubble bath sounded great right about now...

     "This is such a bummer!" He gave the group a faked frown, gently nudging them away to shoo his no longer welcome guests along faster...

     "Yeah..." Chenille agreed with a slight whimper in her voice. "We were having such a good time..."
"I know!" Branch added. "I'm equally disappointed..."

     He almost had them gone... then he could finally just head inside his beloved home and relax his tired bones... maybe make himself a delicious hot chocolate to sip on before bed...