Two

Phaèryon

"Sir. The Anokhian species faces a serious threat. The rate of female births is below ten percent. If we don't do something now our species faces extinction." Aketa was a trusted member of the high council and she wasn't wrong. Our species was on the brink of extinction and if I didn't find a way to save our people we would all fade into dust.

"Don't you think I know that. We've visited every planet within our own star system, and several outside of our home system. If there was a compatible species worth using for repopulation, I would have done it already. " My patience was wearing thin after so much time wasted on unusable species.

"I apologize sir, of course you're aware and doing everything you can. Thank you sir." Aketa bowed in respect.

"We're entering the next star system now. Your dismissed." I was eager to find the solution to our species imminent problem. I needed this system to hold the answer to our problem. We could clone our people, or preserve the species with cryopreservation but neither of those options are the answer to our problem.

"Anaxis, Intelligence discovery." I made demand to my ship, Anaxis.

*Intelligence discovered. Circuit ring three.* My ship spoke back to me.

"Species discovery." My ship was capable determining how many species were on a planet.

*Species discovery. Calculating. Error.*

"Anaxis, Run species discovery estimate." I rubbed my eyebrows in confusion, the stress sinking into my shoulders. This is just what I need, my ship malfunctioning while we're this far away from our home star system.

*Species discovery. Estimated discovery. Two million.*

*Two million* I've never even heard of a planet able to sustain that much life. There must be something clouding the Anaxis's ability to accurately calculate the species on this planet.

"Anaxis, Notify the council we are about to enter the star system. I want everyone in the command center now."

...

Viviana

I worked to catch my breath after sneaking away from my mother on our new routine supply run for the battalion. We spent a week underground in the bunker before the core notified us that it was safe to return above ground.

Since then everyone has known that some kind of alien species landed a ship just outside the city. Everyone had their beliefs that aliens were real but for it to become a reality so quickly? People lost their minds. They started looting and rioting in the streets, stealing this and that.

My father has been extremely busy so I haven't had a chance to ask him what they want from us and no formal demands have been expressed otherwise.

I grabbed a dead branch to be sure of it's stability before pulling myself up into the tall tree. I needed a better view of the ship so I climbed my way up to a higher vantage point. I looked out past the smoke that ascended from whatever fire had been started in the city.

The large pillar I saw descending above the city had changed. It seems as though the pillar had broken in half or rather opened to reveal a glowing purple sphere and a large circular tube that spun around it. It was beyond any technical advancements I've seen here on earth. This species must be intelligent so i can't imagine why they're here and what they could possibly want from us.

"Viviana Wells! Get down out of that tree now!" My mother shouted from below. I could see her craning her thin neck to look up at me. She was always worried about me, worried that id get hurt. She cared for me so much, some times it was too much. I shouldn't be annoyed by it, I should be happy that she cares but I can't help it some times.

"Just a minute!" I yelled down as took in as much of the ship as I could. I could sense her impatience as I crawled down the tall evergreen and jumped down at the bottom.

"Get back to the truck, now." She scolded me again. I could just imagine her grabbing me by my ear and dragging me back to the truck like a disobedient child who worried her mother half to death.

"Yeah yeah..." I sulked back to the truck wondering about the aliens. I had so many unanswerable questions.

"Don't you back sas me." My mother climbed into the driver seat as I buckled myself into the truck.

"I'm not. I just wanted to see the ship." I explained with my hands up in defense.

"You know your father forbids it. He says we know too little to be absolutely sure of our safety. You have to be careful Viv." She warned me as we left the supply warehouse.

"I am careful mom. I wasn't in any danger." I promised.

"You don't know that. Just stay away from that ship and anything that comes with it." She finished as we came to a stop behind some abandoned cars. The place was eerie and I felt like we were being watched.

"Mom just drive around it." I complained to her as she scanned the surrounding area. Just then the drivers side window was smashed beside her, I shielded my eyes from the glass flying into our faces as a man appeared.

"Keep your hands on the dash." He ordered as he pointed the barrel of his gun at me. I trembled as I moved my hands from over my face and grabbed the dash. I looked helplessly at my mom who was now under the gun.

"Leave one hand on the wheel and unbuckle your seat belt." He spoke as he opened the driver side door.

"You can have the truck, and all the supplies." My mother said quietly as she calmly exited the truck. I moved to unbuckle my seat belt and the gun was again pointed at me. The sound of gunfire a short distance away seemed to put him on edge. He was running from someone.

"Stay where you are." He ordered me again as he looked at my mother. She was nervous. I could see the fear in her eyes even though she was keeping calm.

"Please let her out. We don't want any trouble." She pleaded with him as he climbed into the seat. He wasn't going to let me go. He was going to take me with him. I moved for my belt again and he smacked me with the but of his gun, my face exploded with pain. I let out a cry but I tried to stay strong for my mom.

"Get out of the truck Viviana!" She grabbed him from the seat and tried to rip him out of it.

"Mom don't!" I cried as I fumbled with my buckle, still hazy from being smacked.

"Mom!" I screamed as I heard the gun go off. The mix of adrenaline and loud sound of the gun caused my ears to ring. Everything happened so quickly. The man jumped into the car and I screamed for him to stop as I stared into the mirror at my mother's body laying on the ground.

"No, no! Please! Take me back. Let me out please! Mom!!!" I cried and cried as he drove on and on. My mother was shot. She could make it, someone could save her...

I tried to calm myself so I could think about what I was going to do next. I couldn't think, all I could do was stare out the window as buildings rushed by, replaying the image of my mom laying lifeless on the pavement, her killer sitting right next to me.