25

The soil smelled of a damp musk as my cheek lay against it for the fifteenth time this morning. Radeon was teaching me how to defend myself in the claiming and I was becoming best friends with the dirt. Radeon let out a loud chuckle that rumbled in his chest as I picked myself up again.

"You must use your head, your body, and your fists." He smiled at me. "Don't get distracted... You'll need to learn to keep your guard up while you're in battle." He stepped back and held me by the shoulders. He looked into my eyes. "Your opponent will try to make it look easy." He paused and let out a sigh. "So you need to figure out the trick of defending yourself, the ways to block and evade attacks... Everything else is secondary."

I frowned. "But you seem pretty good at everything." I crossed my arms across my chest, annoyed. Why didn't anyone teach me anything important? What kind of leader was he anyways?

His smile grew. "I've trained for years." He put one hand behind his neck. "My father taught me everything he knew when he was alive." A hint of pain entered his eyes for a second before disappearing. He turned and walked away to stand on the edge of the clearing, staring into the dense foliage. "Everything else I've learned from experience."

I followed him. We stood side by side looking out into the forest. After a few minutes, I asked, "How long will it take?"

He laughed bitterly. "I don't know." His expression became serious. He leaned toward me, holding my shoulder tightly in his hand. He stared into my eyes. "Listen carefully. These next couple of weeks are crucial for your victory. You have to work hard. Learn everything you can." He straightened himself. "Do you understand?"

I nodded reluctantly. He wasn't giving me the answers I was hoping for.

"Good. Now we should continue our training." He released me and walked over to his weapon bag that rested beside the trees. "We still have another hour until the end of the day."

As the afternoon wore on I learned more than I ever had before. Even during the days I spent at school I had never been able to do as much research as I was doing today. I felt useless in my studies. But this new knowledge would come in handy. At least I had a better shot of surviving than I ever expected. I was glad to see the end of the training session when it finally came.

I collapsed onto the grass, breathing heavily. I looked at the sun, which hung high above the trees. Time flew so fast. It' s been three days since we arrived here and Radeon and I have formed a closer relationship in these few days than most of the people I knew before the invasion.

"Are you feeling alright?" He asked while walking over to me. I got up and dusted off my clothes. I glanced up at him briefly.

"Fine." I turned around and began walking away. I felt his eyes burning holes in the back of my head. I heard him sigh and walk after me.

"What is wrong?" He called, slowing to walk next to me.

I didn't respond.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me close. "Talk to me." He said softly.

"Nothing," I replied quickly wriggling out of his hold. I continued to walk ahead.

"Viv, Stop!" He called again.

I spun around and glared at him.

"Nothing is wrong, okay!? Nothing at all! Why would I be upset? You're not dead yet, are you? I'm still breathing, id say I'm doing just peachy." my voice was dripping with sarcasm.

His face hardened slightly. "Why are you angry?" He sounded hurt.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "I'm not angry."

Radeon examines the red hue glowing off my body, "you sure?" he raised a brow. It frustrated me even more that I still hadn't learned to control my radiant.

I sighed in defeat. "Yes. Fine, I'm angry."

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I'm just mad at myself. Mad at myself for being weak." I admitted.

He stepped closer and placed his hands on both sides of my face, forcing me to look at him.

"Weak?" he repeated incredulously.

I nodded.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you. It's just..." my voice trailed off. I didn't really know how to explain it. It had become natural for me to react badly whenever I felt unsafe, anxious, or scared.

He studied me for a while and then nodded. "Don't worry. I understand." He gave me a small smirk. "Let's get ready for dinner. I'm starving." He grabbed my wrist, pulling me towards the camp where the other warriors were waiting for us.

We found ourselves surrounded by several warriors. They were discussing something animatedly and laughing at each other every now and then. When they saw us coming their conversations came to an abrupt halt.

They watched me suspiciously. I kept my head down, not wanting to meet their gazes. After a moment of awkward silence, they resumed talking.

"What's for dinner?" I asked Radeon. hopefully, it wasn't anything like the Wovari that Phaèryon fed me.

I could feel everyone staring at me. But I didn't pay them any attention. My attention was focused solely on the ground under my feet.

"Your species would call this, dried fish." He spoke taking a bite of the jerky-like substance.

My suspicions grew, concern showing on my face. "What kind of fish?"

"Wova-"

"I can't eat that." I cut him off firmly. His eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

"Why?" He frowned and looked offended.

"I don't want to waste food. I won't touch it." I shook my head in denial. "It tastes horrible. I won't eat it I promise."
He gazed at me in disapproval. something told me he knew I was lying but I couldn't tell him that I learned that Wovari was actually an aphrodisiac for humans. It was too embarrassing.

I ignored his glare and took a deep breath and forced myself to calm down. My stomach growled loudly reminding me that I was hungry.

"I won't touch it, but if you want me to eat, I'll go hunting," I suggested.

WHUUUT two updates in one day? That's crazy talk. 😆

Well. I've been inspired.
Enjoy!