Chapter 4

She had felt a burn growing now that the excitement was over. Dominic overreacted to the fall earlier, but this seemed to be intense.

"Please, let me. I won't, this doesn't mean...." Her gown was pushed off her back, and that's when the sting started. "Come here." She was turned around, and arms were lowered under her bum, lifting up. "Just relax against me."

His steady steps brought them into the room that resembled a French wedding cake, or what she thought one would look like. Handling her like fine china, he placed her on her feet next to the bed he definitely did not pick out for himself.

"I'm going to take this wet gown off you, and then I would like you to lay face down. I tore up your back, and I want to make sure it heals properly."

Although the wet fabric was reluctant to release her skin, he delicately peeled it from her.

Acting more confident than she felt, she kept her arms to her side as he seemed to mask his reaction to her nudity. Dropping down to finish his job, he was at eye level with her sex.

"I..." His lungs filled with air, holding it until he was ready. "I need to take care of you. Of what I did to you."

Helping her from the sopping pile of cotton to the more comfortable than it looks bed, he made sure that every move she made minimized tension to her back.

Once face down, he pulled a folded blanket from the foot of the bed and covered her lower half. "I am so sorry."

Sophia nodded her acknowledgment. The pain started to set in, and it felt like more than light scratches.

"I am going to call the doctor. I just want to make sure everything heals right."

"That wasn't you, was it?" Squished cheeks mumbled her question. "That was your lycan."

He had emerged in sweatpants, and she could tell very well that there was no underwear located anywhere under them.

"Yes. And not that you did anything wrong, but we need to discuss the chase reflex. I was caught off guard too."

"Can you talk while we wait for the doc?"

"Sure." Propped up against his nightstand, he took a position looking over her. "You've heard I am lycan, correct?"

A corresponding nod that dragged the side of her face over five-thousand thread count linen concurred with his statement.

"I have both a wolf and a lycan. They are separate entities that comprise my magic."

The light caught the definition of his abs. There was so much of him everywhere. Like, muscles stacked on muscles.

"I don't know Amiri well. As is common, he has only recently come about. We don't know how to work together yet. Back there, I got distracted, and he got excited. When you pulled back, instinct took over."

"You said you were distracted?"

Lighting her up with the golden glow of his irises, "Kasey, my wolf, stepped in and nipped you. I was pulling him back at the same time you jumped."

"It sounds like a lot."

"It's my responsibility."

A curtesy knock at the door followed by the beeps and swooshing of access being granted. A quartet came through; Three healers and a killer.

"Alpha Dominic." Three heads dipped, and after a second, only the doctor's raised up. "This is Doctor Jacobson, the OBGYN for the territory." The female next to her raised her head. "And her assistant, Nurse Rebecca." The last member of the group raised her head.