Chapter 12

The pre-calculus-induced trance was broken with a series of beeps and a swoosh noise. Pencil down and weight on her legs, it was a good time for an interruption.

A bespoke blue suit, cut to make her weak in the knees, started at his shoulders and ended in naughty positions in her dreams. Could he leave it on? How does one make that happen?

Crossing the room to him, he was the one to reach out and wrap his hand behind her head. His forehead came down and pressed into hers while he held still, breathing her in. Probably able to scent her little fantasy about his tweed ensemble.

He lifted back to evaluate her. "I have to say I like these better than what you used to wear around here." A playful look lit up a tired face. "I would hate to have to kill anyone who looked at you too hard, so please don't wear leggings past that door."

"I thought you liked my white dress well enough."

A mild growl rumbled around his chest. "Yes. That was nice as well."

Breaking away, he took a couple steps towards the back wall next to the couch and stopped. With a deep breath and hands on his hips, she couldn't see his face but knew that expression well.

"It's OK. You can have a drink if you want." The bar was in his line of sight.

"No, I need to just have it taken out." His next attempt was the sofa. "I should have had the construction crew do it when they worked on the other repairs. It's not fair when you're old enough but can't."

"I'll make you one." She moved towards the bottles of liquid in their faceted crystal bottles and eyed the equipment. "I, uh, you like this one with one ice cube. Right?" The decanter sloshed with brown liquid as it was raised up.

"How did you know?"

"I've been to your office enough." Spices filled the air around her as she poured into a tumbler. "I was supposed to do the ice first, wasn't I?"

"I'd be suspicious if you got it completely correct on the first try."

Hidden inside a mini fridge-looking freezer, a row of molds was lined up. The silicone peeled off to reveal a smooth frozen globe that was soon submerged in a dark tan bath.

"That's quite a lot, even for me." A relaxed laugh released as she handed him her first poured drink.

"Oh, well, you don't have to drink it all, right?"

"Right." A slight tip cascaded the whiskey into his mouth. It did look a little full. "Come sit with me?"

Sizing up where to take her seat, her calculations were interrupted when he pulled her down onto him and against his chest. Feet were now up towards the far end, and slippers were kicked off.

"I would like to add an alternative to Sir Lucas's offer." An arm extended straight, holding the mostly full tumbler. Pretty sure she poured him a quadruple now that she's thinking about it. Another arm wrapped around her and rolled up and down her exposed skin. "I want to make sure you have choices, and not just shitty ones or me."

Pretty egotistical to think that Sir Lucas's offer is shitty, but let's see where this is going.

"What are you thinking?" His warmth pressed against her back, and she picked out his day's individual scents. Who he met with, where he was. His clothing kept a lot of information in it.

"Freedom."

"From?"

"Everyone. I've put five-hundred thousand in an investment account in your name. The value should stay relevant over the years as it will be fed if the minimum threshold is met. It is accessible from almost everywhere, but I will give you a list of locations I recommend. Most importantly, it is accessible out West."