Chapter 30

As hesitant as he was to be positioned in front of her, he was in a prime setting to observe as she slipped into much-needed slumber. Amiri was moving as little as possible while keeping up with the biological demands of their mating. When her mouth twisted from an oncoming contraction, he would increase just until she found relief and would maintain that pace and depth.

Dominic saw the possessive cage around her that his beast had formed with his powerful arms. With every stray noise that could be heard outside the window or in the hall, he would huff and growl, ready to defend her against whoever would dare to encroach on them. This would have been a lot less stressful if they had the opportunity to be solidly in his territory, but unfortunately, the occasion did not allow for that luxury.

This time the noise came from below him. A smacking mouth was searching for relief from its dry conditions. Soon, eyelashes fluttered against blushed cheeks as awareness fell over the form under him. Keeping his face angled away from her so that as she opens her eyes, she isn't overwhelmed and makes an unfortunate movement away.

"You're hiding your face from me, aren't you?" A groggy but clear voice spoke to him from somewhere within the protective enclosure he had created for her.

"We aren't taking any chances and didn't want to startle you when you woke up." Dominic shared.

"I'm awake now. Let me see you."

Undulations had paused, and the massive body stiffened. Dominic did not reach out to Amiri but addressed Sophia instead.

"Please understand that no one has ever looked at him with anything other than fear. Even the guards who are used to him falter."

"I wasn't afraid of you in the alley," Sophia said out loud to the frozen beast.

The softening of his posture coincided with a large exhale. Not defeat, but something akin to it.

It would kill him, in this most intimate of times, to see any trace of disgust in her eyes. But is avoiding her, when she clearly wants this, any better?

Her hands appeared in his vision over her head, palms up and crossed. The red material slashed across the milky skin of the underside of her forearm. She relaxed and waited for his next move, giving him everything she could to ease his anxiety.

Lowering down, his cheek dragged along her open fist and settled when her fingers pushed back to allow his face to be enveloped by her touch. Her wrists uncrossed and delicately danced over his features. The smell of her sweat and otherwise calm emotions filled the air around his nose and mouth.

Pressure on his face as she pushed him with her hands, guiding him down to her level, caressing as he moved. Soon, her face was in his line of sight. Green eyes and an endearing gaze welcomed him through split fingers.

The separation between her digits grew and moved, revealing more and more of him. Taking relief in her controlling the exposure, he exhaled.

Instead of tightly regulated calm, adoration grew on her features. She glowed at his disfigured and completely exposed face. A slight curve lifted one side of her mouth as emerald irises danced around until locking into his stare.

Her head lifted off the bed and wobbled before approaching his own. Full lips brushed against a mouth meant exclusively for tearing the flesh of enemies. The contorted shape of his would only allow him to receive, not reciprocate, her kisses.

A thumb pulled down his lower lip and dragged over elongated teeth unique to lycans. She stroked this feature and moved her face along his cheek.

She clenched down on him, where they were joined, and made a desperate plea. He had been still for too long.