Chapter 23

"Those are the options," her sweet voice reasoned.

All lights were off, and the sweat had evaporated. Their first full day was over, and it would have been much nicer if he could have just relaxed after, but there was one item of business that needed to be settled.

"Why can't I just say no to all of them?" This was not the plan.

"You can." But they both knew he wouldn't. She has a point, as usual.

"What do you prefer?" Dominic asked. Wedged into his side, with a chin on his shoulder, her squirms and movement felt like heaven across his skin.

"I like the idea of taking a tour during the mandatory governance meeting. It gives us an hour, and all the major players will be there. I could take an E6 with me, but going unnoticed is preferred. Ava and I will link you immediately if anything happens."

"Architecture, you say?"

"The old structure in the East Wing hasn't been touched and offers great examples and inspiration for Young Ava."

When Sophia was Ava's age, she was denied career interests. Maybe this is her way of making up for it. Perhaps this is something he can do too.

"And why can't she just look at pictures in books? I'll have an entire architecture section curated."

He felt the smirk against his skin and knew he had fallen into one of her traps. "I hear they are making amazing progress with in vitro fertilization for our species."

Almost as if she was expecting this reaction, she shimmied right into place when he rolled over and pinned her. He didn't have enough left for another full round, but he could undoubtedly tease her for the duration of this conversation.

One hand secured wrists above her head and the other locked onto a thigh wrapped around him. A slow entry got both of their attention. It was better this way anyway. She felt a little swollen.

"Is that what you want, my love?"

"No," her head shook as he set a leisurely pace. "I want you, just like this."

He hissed with a small release.

"It won't be like this, though. It will be with Amiri."

"I want that too."

There was screaming in his head, a push forward. It's not time yet. "I'll let you come up but not take over." Dominic compromised with his beast.

Lower and upper teeth extended, and his chest widened. Adjusting his grip so that he was pressing down instead of wrapped around her hands with claws kept her from being hurt, but she could easily slide out if she wanted to. She won't.

"Why don't we take her as a mate?" Amiri, glad to be observing, whined. "Then, she is protected and happy. She doesn't have to look down from others."

"I can't do that to her. I can't pressure her that way. It's too much." His eyes must be swirling with yellow the way she was looking at him. "She can leave this way. She can't leave if she's mated to me."

"Amiri?"

A release, deeper, felt by both.

"Your mother did." His beast was genuine in the conversation and frustrated with their limitations.

"And I never want for her what happened to my mother."

Going back to being present with Sophia, the yellow swirled away as he was left alone with her again.

"I see what you mean by in-person experiences." His conversing pivoted to the blushing face beneath him. "You might have a point."

Sucking her lower lip between her teeth and biting down, the part of her mouth that wasn't pinched lifted in a devious smile. What is she up... oh... my... goddess...