Chapter 9

"Let me guess." Liam, the guard on duty that morning, was inspecting the damage. "Sophia was sitting over there."

A dark blue duvet cover laid flat, not a crease visible for about a yard on the edge of the bed. The tile below was in pristine condition, the sheets neatly folded under the mattress.

A hand as big as a bear's rubbed the back of a golden-brown head of hair. "Yeah, something like that."

The rest of the room, well, that's why an estimator was coming in. But first, he will have to deal with a heartbroken wolf.

Beeps, a swoosh, clicking, and an opening of a heavy door were heard.

"You ready, alpha?"

A deep sigh was the only appropriate response. He was not.

"Alpha Dominic," a sharp and attentive voice announced his presence as he approached the top of the steps, "You wanted to...."

Locking into his location, Peter literally swooned as he took in the damage. Arms darted out to either side of the door jamb to steady the tipsy form.

"What happened..." His color was fading fast, and Dominic moved into position in case he went down the bloody way.

The bottom of the stairs provided the best view of dark brown eyes bouncing from one destroyed piece of furniture to the next. With each pause, information was taken in, and a little more color was lost.

"The Philadelphia Chippendale..." A lifeless foot thudded down the first step, and eyes bounced around to yet another tragedy. "The Serapis I got from New York...." His body came to a crashing halt one step down with a locked knee. A slight shudder in his chest as he exhaled, fighting the tears that were forming. "That's where the Armanis are kept... were kept...."

"Alpha Dominic, may I enter your quarters?" A female voice came through the mindlink.

"Liam will let you in."

The fighter dodged the slow, stiff walking valet and took the stairs in two steps to let in the only comfort available to the shock patient.

Hard worked, thin fingers inspected the grays and blues, fine sturdy fabric that undoubtedly each saw his personal attention at one time or another. A pinstripe sleeve was pulled out of the roughed-up line of shoulders, lining pulled and shredded through the seam. "It's OK," a monotone voice barely hanging in there spoke up. "Double-breasted didn't fall as well on you as I thought it would."

"Sweetheart." A longing and loving voice reached right through to him, and he snapped to meet the attention of his mate.

"Cyndi. It's all...."

The slender brunette lowered herself and breezed past Dominic without even a glance. Slim arms wrapped around her love, and he held her tight in return. Her heart, her focus, her target was the other half of her soul who was in pain.

"I used welt seams." A confession whispered into her hair.

"And you will again, sweetheart."

The mark on her neck seemed to intensify with their embrace. The connection between them growing in relevance. She was not physically strong but offered him strength. His face buried into her bony shoulders, seeking the touch of her skin. A red-hot cheek rubbed along the mark he left on her when their souls joined, and she continued to soothe him with her murmurs and strokes.

"When you're ready, maybe it's time for that project you've been wanting to do."

His head, still buried in her embrace, nodded in response.

Leaving them to settle things alone, Dominic headed towards the cross-armed soldier. The uniform of a black muscle shirt and tactical pants stood out against the Aubusson rug he stood on at the foot of his bed.