Chapter 14

"Nancy confirmed our suspicions, but Liam caught her in the act."

The air quickly lost its climate control as the elevator dropped well below the normal operating range.

"And if Sophia had ingested it?" Dominic's unwavering voice asked.

"The result would have been at least a miscarriage should she be carrying, but up to infertility, chronic illness, and death. With the amount injected into the yogurt, we believe death was the intention."

The blurry image of a red-headed warrior and his boss reflected off the doors.

"But there was no chance of that happening. She was never going to get through us." The E6 Guard huffed.

The gate parted to reveal a cinderblock hallway subjected to perpetual dampness for decades. Voluntarily stepping into the dulcet humidity of the dank facility, they headed towards the far end.

"Her father pleas for mercy?"

Matching sets of tactical pants and shitkickers plodded over concrete, disregarding any collection of water in their path. A far cry from an outfit that Peter would have selected for him. This evening calls for clothing that does not require dry cleaning. Black won't show blood, and other stains can be removed in a basic wash cycle.

"He is with her now." The fighter responded over the alpha's shoulder.

Cheap light cast a persistent harsh glow onto the crowd gathered near the last cell. Corroded argentiferous bars lined both sides, acting as a mild repellent and encouraging visitors to adhere to a well-traveled path in the middle.

Faces of a recently aged male and young female saw enough to recognize the situation and bowed. Sharp shadows from the overhead fluorescent emphasized signs of duress on both before disappearing when heads dropped towards the floor. Two fighters remained at attention. Their duty requires them to be alert, not submissive.

"You tried to kill my breeder."

Silence was required from their current pose. Dominic has not released them intentionally. There is no argument against his statement.

Trembling shook the same green and blue plaid skirt that his Sophia wears. The dark stains collected since being down here would make it ineligible to wear to school again. Roots showing a darker color formed a strip between two chunks of a familiar blonde shade.

Releasing them, a face too young to be here looked up towards him, puffy eyes low. Chest shuddering and snot shamelessly running over chapped lips.

"I'm sorry." The dictation matched the shivers of her body.

The only appropriate response.

"The sentence is death. This existed before your plan, yet your father pleas for mercy."

"I do." The broken male spoke.

"I hope you aren't taking the blame for this crime. She has siblings subjected to the same upbringing that I do not want to worry about."

"My children are no threat to your reign."

A wall of chests faced the family members currently crouched low. The female in the cell, tucked as tiny as she could be on a mattress, and her desperate sire, sitting on a stool just outside. Every surface surrounding them was a different shade of gray.

"What is your case?"

Sweaty palms rubbed down dark wool pants that undoubtedly shared the same spots as the prisoner's wardrobe.

"I present that my family and I did cooperate fully with your investigation."

"Aye, that is why you are outside the cell instead of in the one next to her."