fourteen

Shahzaib has never considered himself a family man. He loved having fun and just living his life in peace. His parents gave him enough reasons to stay steer clear of family and whatever related to it.

But with Wafa in the picture, he was beginning to question his motives in life. She made him want things he never considered a need before. He wanted a family with her. He had no idea where did that thought come from, but he just knew he wanted one with her. It was so terrifying yet so tempting. He was scared but his heart wanted him to take the risk.

A fond smile played on his lips unconsciously as he sat in his office, staring at his laptop, doing anything but work. It's been two weeks since they shifted from the Hussain mansion and God, it was the best two weeks of his whole life combined. He didn't have to see his parents fight all the time, and also, he got to spend more time with Wafa.

Wafa. Wafa. Wafa.

His mind could only think about her these days. It's the little things she started doing for him that no one has ever cared to do, that were making him more and more drawn towards her.

His mind was totally conflicted by trying to decide if he wanted to stay married forever.

He don't know what he wants anymore. He has been confused ever since Rayyan's engagement.

Once upon a time, he had dreaded the very thought of marriage. It was not easy with Wafa either. But there's something about her that makes him want to still keep going. She gave him new hopes.

Hopes that are terrifying yet so beautiful.

But then there were also his fears.

He knew he was being a fool by giving his insecurities more importance but he didn't want to end up like his parents. It was frustrating.

"Wow, what a sight I have walked into." The familiar voice of his cousin snapped him out of his dazed thoughts.

"What are you doing here?" Shahzaib straightened himself as Rayyan sat in front of him on a chair, looking pretty smug about something. He knew what is it about but still, he kept a straight face.

"You're not working," Rayyan teased with a smirk, Shahzaib kept a straight face, "I was working,"

He shook his head, trying to act nonchalant and looked at the laptop but it has been in sleep mode for whatever reason and that made him want to hide somewhere, it was embarrassing. He always worked, but maybe not anymore. He was so lost.

"Of course, you're working," Rayyan laughed sarcastically, "okay, enough. Shut up." Shahzaib grunted in annoyance, his face was flustered because of being caught red-handed in his lie. And he rarely lies. What is happening to him?

"We had plans for lunch today. Did you forget it already? You said you'd book a table for us at our favourite restaurant,"

"What? Wh- Oh yes. I didn't forget. When are we going?"

He totally forgot about that. And Rayyan seems to know it somehow.

"I'm happy for you, Zaib." Shahzaib shut his laptop down, knowing well that there was no use in it now. He might as well accept that work doesn't keep his interest anymore.

Once upon a time, his whole life revolved around this office. It was ironic how time changes people's priorities. His number one priority was her these days. And he said she was just a temporary wife. Ironic indeed.

Rayyan smiled at him, "we never imagined this marriage was ever going to work. You were practically forced into it. But look at you now," His cousin added with a chuckle.