seventeen

"This is not my home, Humera. It never was. It's all just temporary."

"We got close for sure. But only as friends. He considers me just that."

"He's not the only guy in the world okay. It's his loss if he doesn't want you as his wife."

"I told you already, I'll say it again. You are awesome and anyone would be lucky to be married to you. If Shahzaib didn't want it, it was his loss. But don't worry, okay? I'll find you another husband."

"Why should you waste your life? I'll search for a better guy than, Shahzaib. I think even Zaroon seemed like a nice guy. Don't you think?"

Shahzaib couldn't get any work done that day. It annoyed him to know that he had given someone so much power over his emotions. Well, she wasn't just anyone though.

Memories from last night kept disturbing him throughout the day, not letting him concentrate on anything.

It was so ironic considering he didn't give her any reason to think otherwise.

He wanted to be her friend, afterall. It was supposed to be temporary, afterall.

God! Shahzaib was starting to hate those words.

It was like, he was going to lose something so precious to him. The only irony was he never wanted it to begin with. But now, he was not so sure anymore.

Wafa Zaidi has made him such a mess and yet the thought of her leaving him pained him. He couldn't take it.

Imagining Wafa with Zaroon or anyone else, made his gut twist. There was this unexplainable pain inside his heart. He was edgy and irritable ever since.

"God! Help me." He took a deep breath while replying to an email.

There was a knock at his door.

He sat straight, composing himself, "come in." He used his no-nonsense boss voice. 

It was Zaroon who walked in. Shahzaib's face stiffened at the sight of him, "Mr Hussain," the guy trailed off, noticing the clear dislike on Shahzaib's face.

"Yes?" Even though it was highly unprofessional, Shahzaib couldn't help it. 

"My supervisor is on leave today." Zaroon began hesitantly, "so?" Shahzaib was in no mood to talk with him. He wanted this guy away from his eyes. It would be for the best. For both of them.

He was going mad since last night.

He knew Zaroon had nothing to do with all this, but still, he couldn't help the bitterness. The thought of Wafa considering Zaroon as something more made him all uneasy.

"I wanted a half day leave. I couldn't reach him. So, I was hoping you'd grant it for me." Zaroon looked at him hopefully.

"No." Shahzaib denied it instantly without a second thought. Zaroon looked taken aback.

"You didn't even hear my reasons." Zaroon disagreed, and he looked at him sharply, "my answer will be still a no. Get back to work."

"Get going now." Shahzaib went on to carry out his work, dismissing the guy. Who was still in disbelief. Zaroon walked out without much argument.

Guilt crept in instantly as he glanced at the door. And there was this unreasonable side which felt satisfied by seeing Zaroon's helplessness.

Something was seriously wrong with him. Shahzaib has never behaved this way before. He never had a reason to.

But then Wafa happened.

Groaning frustratedly, he phoned his assistant, "inform Zaroon from the finance department that he can take the day off." And hung up the call with a scowl.