XIV , Haunted

"Hey,"

The voice surrounded you and cut into your very soul. Joshua. That voice was Joshua, you recognized it instantly. But where was he? It was all so dark.

"What are you thinking about?" Joshua put his hand on your chin and the world lit up around you. He smiled warmly at you as the two of you sat on a bench at school.

"... Nothing." You breathed out.

"Nothing?" He repeated, chuckling. "You're always thinking about something."

It all went black again.

"Always thinking about how someone can betray you... How things can go wrong..."

And out of all those pessimistic, doubtful thoughts that came to fruition.

His betrayal hurt worst.

Awaking with a start, you stared blankly at the keyboard you'd fallen asleep in front of. You couldn't breath for moments there. Until, finally, you were gasping in air heavily. In and out as the weight of gravity started coming crashing down.

You put your hands to your face and gritted your teeth.

"I got sick of your pessimism."

"You can't blame me, who could put up with your bullshit?!"

"I love you"

"Just breathe"

"Get over yourself."

"I thought I told you to stop talking to me at school!"

"Fuck. Off."

Tears, hot and heavy, ran uncomfortably down your cheeks. Dropping down your chest as you sat in misery. Recalling the worst days of your life. The worst breakup you'd ever been through.

Until a noise broke through the echoing of your past failures.

You rose your head, a familiar name on your discord screen.

[ Incoming call from : Warni ]

Slowly, you reached out and clicked accept. Your gaze drifted to the time as you'd done so.

[ 1:23 PM ]

[ "Hey, why aren't you answering my messages?"

You had to do a double take. "I'm sorry, who is this?" You asked through fried vocal cords.

"Shiiit... You sound awful." Warni laughed. The familiar laugh confirmed silently for you that it was, in fact, Warni.

"Hey." You greeted properly.

"Recognize me now, huh? Good." Warni was quiet a moment. You didn't fill the silence, even though you wanted to. Nothing would come out through your closed up throat. "Are you okay?"

His words were simple, but filled with depth. Their tone was so quiet and soft, like the soothing rustling of wind. Yet still retained his deep and gravelly voice of which made his voice so nice to listen to. When he wasn't screaming down the mic and peaking his audio, anyways.

Those words. Those three simple words and that soft tone of his caused you to start sobbing.

"Woah, hey hey hey," You could hear how Warni was frowning, "Heart, hey, talk to me, what's wrong?" ]

You ended the call.