LVII , Promises

"What did she look like, Damshi?"

"Oh?" A smile twitched onto Damshi's face, freshly washed from her nightly skincare routine. "What did who look like? And why are you here so late at night?"

"It's not late." Ace huffed. "It's only 10 pm."

"Is it really?" Damshi tilted her head. "Ah, well, I do tend to go to bed early. You understand, right?"

"Yeah, I know, so just tell me who that girl was. The one who spoke to (Y/n) first." Ace grunted, already annoyed by Damshi's small talk.

"I don't know," Damshi sighed deeply and shrugged, "nobody does. And we have no way of finding out."

"Surely not." Ace scrunched his nose.

"Stop that." Damshi scolded lightly. "You'll make yourself bleed."

"Huh?" Ace blinked, unmoving as Damshi reached out and uncurled his fists. Sure enough, red crescents adorned his pale skin. Irritated, but not broken, luckily. He'd broken skin a few times before without realizing. "Ah, damn." Ace hissed.

"You need to break that habit." Damshi rolled her eyes and pulled away, leaving Ace to stare at his hands. "How on earth will you protect your precious (Y/n) if you take your hands out of commission?"

She made a good point.

"Shut up." Ace grunted. "If you're not going to say anything useful, then I'll get going."

"You're always so blunt with me." Damshi crossed an arm over her waist and furrowed her brows. An amused glint in her eyes, and a small mischievous smile resting on her lips. "I wonder what (Y/n) would think if she saw this side of you..."

Ace's gaze snapped to Damshi, cold and harsh. "Is that a threat?"

"Is everything a threat to you?" Exasperation shone through in Damshi's voice.

"When it comes to you all, yes." Ace stated in a matter-a-fact tone.

"Fair enough." Damshi mumbled. "But you've known me long enough to know I don't make threats..."

"Yeah," Ace concurred, "you just make promises."

Damshi chuckled. "Well, good night then, Ace."

"Night." Ace mumbled.

Damshi disappeared back into her room, pausing once it was closed. Her hands gripped the knob on the door, staring hard at it.

Things had changed so much.

She didn't know if it was for better or for worse. Then again, was everything so simple in life? Damshi hummed, going and laying flat on her bed. Their gaze fell onto the ceiling, just staring at the blank nothingness.

Ah, nothingness. What a familiar companion. Damshi always preferred the nothingness. It was less overwhelming, less demanding.

Hm...

But they'd prefer to be enjoying this nothingness with you.